photo of lots of old bottle site

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Here's a photo of some of the bottles from site of old blacksmith shop. I am going to ask the guy if he even wants them, because they are just laying around on the ground. Every time he uses the earth moving equipment to take a chunk out of the nearby hill, a bunch of them come out. What's best way to identify any with value?

Attachments

• bottleshot.jpg
    bottleshot.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
They do look like older bottles bergie.

A good way to tell is to look for a seam that runs from the bottle all the way up to the neck.

You'll see a line to show it was machine made. They are from 1900 and on.

If you see no seams and the bottles seem to be molded together in pieces like neck body them bottom. Then you know you have some pre 1900's bottles.

By the looks of them they look around turn of the century to the late 1800's.

The blue one's look really good. I'd ask if I could have them.

There's a great site for bottle info. www.antique-bottles.net

Hope this helps

HH Jer

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bergie, the bottle market is strange - very localized. Look for any that are embossed with business or product names, as the unembossed generic bottles aren't worth a lot, except for rare exceptions. Look around for a local bottle club, we have a great one here in RI, and they are very helpful.

One other thing, keep your eye out for bottles with pontil marks on the bottom. This is usually a round or irregurally shaped impression in the base of the bottle. That's a sure sign that it's an older bottle. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread