Photographing Finds

P

pastorals

Smudge, any camera brand can take good photos of coins. There are a few things that are very helpful. The camera should have a Macro mode and some ability to Zoom in. A tripod is essential as is a good lighting setup. The most important thing, though, is to become familiar with your camera by taking lots of photos. This is a good beginning. After you get proficient you can start looking at other setups for your photos such as Axial lighting.

Alan

P

pastorals

PS - Let me recommend "Numismatic Photography" by Mark Goodman. I believe it is available from Amazon. If not, any major book seller will probably have it or can get it.

Alan

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is also a test forum here to experiment with posting your pics so you can figure out what setting on your camera works.

I used a fairly inexpensive digital cam at first and now just use my phone which allows me to resize and do macro.

Technology...taking pics with a phone.HA!

Al

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When taking closeup photos for good dept of field "focus from front to back" If you have an option, shoot with the aperture opening small. If you want to blurr the background, use a large apterature or lens opening. The lens is the main thing in photography followed closely by the in camera processing. Any camera can take a good small picture. The difference in picture quality showes up in larger images. For display on a webb form 300 to 500 Pict's is a good size image. When shooting the image always use the best quality setting such as the highest pictal count, or the lowest ISO setting. Macro is a mode for taking pictures of very small objects. It's drawback is that there is very shallow dept of field " that is sharp focus is confined to a very small area. This is great for coins ,but not so great for thicker objects. Frank

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deepskyal said:
There is also a test forum here to experiment with posting your pics so you can figure out what setting on your camera works.

I used a fairly inexpensive digital cam at first and now just use my phone which allows me to resize and do macro.

Technology...taking pics with a phone.HA!

Al

Just a word about taking photos with your phone. For several years, newbie gold prospectors were taking photos of their finds with their cell phones and posting them on the forums. Then, the folks that were savy, or had friends that were, simply took the GPS location off the photo and went and cleaned out the patch! On a beach? Who cares? But if you have a "secret" water hole or patch in the woods - Think Twice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread