Pic finally up - sorry for the delay!

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on here in a while nor out in the field until the past couple of weeks. As some of you may know, I found Swift's first mine last winter. When I quit searching, I had left off there and was going to continue my search this fall West of the first mine site to the site Swift supposedly worked after 1761 (the mine he states as lying West of the first mine and being richer in ore).

Well, during the last two to three weeks, I have been taking a couple of days each week to try and locate the rockhouse and waterfall where Swift supposedly left a couple of caches and smelted his silver ore. Yesterday, I finally arrived at the spot, after finding it last week, but being unable to get to it from the direction I came in due to the terrain.

I was able to get some great pics (I hope they turn out great - haven't had them developed yet). The country and area was just as Swift had described. Unfortunately, the silver caches have long been gone. I even took a picture of the right hand side of the rockhouse as I entered - a huge hole there where the silver crowns were unearthed sometime ago.

I did make a nice discovery on a ledge near the waterfall (actually between the waterfall and rockhouse). It was the only hit I had on my detector all day, but was a good one. The object was a skinny, long all metal hammer with two small heads. I measured the handle today and the metal handle of the hammer is exactly 12 inches long. After researching antique tools on the internet, I found out that the hammer is actually a silversmithing hammer of the 1700's!!

I will post some pics of the hammer on here in a week or so (I still have some film left in the camera and am going back to the site to look for other clues and take some more pics in the next several days).

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: New find at rockhouse Swift used to smelt silver ore!

Thanks, swiftsearcher. Looking forward to those pics.

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New find at rockhouse Swift used to smelt silver ore!

One more day in the field and I should finish off my film to be developed.

I have a questions for those reading. Last time out, I found a few more landmarks Swift mentioned in the journals I have (and most of the widely published journals for that matter). However, I did find the Table Top Rock. The ONLY thing I have on that is a brief mention in a book that Swift referred to a "Table Top" rock.

Does anyone know the significance of the Table Top rock? Is it suppose to be a direction from one of the mines or on a path to one of the caches? I found this while finding the hollow leading to the middle mine from the rockhouse. The Table Top rock is around 100 yards South of the cliff this mine is located however.

I was just wanting to know what Swift actually said about the Table Top rock I guess - if anyone can help. Thanks in advance. Like I Said, there is no mention of it in either of the two old journals I have. Also, the only reference I can find is where Michael Steely simply lists the Table Top rock as a landmark mentioned by Swift. ??? ??? ???

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic now up - check it out!!!!!!

Here is the pic of the 12 inch silversmithing hammer that I found between the Rockhouse Swift smelted ore in and the waterfall he mentions. The gun behind the hammer is my 50 cal. Desert Eagle - used to show size.

Out of all the other pics I had developed today, about the usual 1/3 came out good enough for me to use in my book. Only one pic of the waterfall and one pic of the outside of the main Rockhouse came out well enough to use. Seems like the BEST pic of all that turned out was the pic I took of the old rusted metal keg rings. These were the rings I found, when I walked off the poles given by Swift to find the four kegs of minted Silver crowns. I found them exactly where Swift stated (except, the tree was now dead and only the rusted metal rings of the keg were left - someone beat me to the Silver some time ago!). BTW - the right side of the front of the rockhouse was dug out a long time ago as well (where Swift hid some more silver) - just a deep hole in that area now (one pic of this came out well, along with anothe nice pic of the inside of the rockhouse and the table top rock).

Anyway, I am happy with finding the silversmithing hammer probably used by Swift in the pic. Don't know how I would have carried out four ten gallon kegs of silver coins in my health anyway! ???

Attachments

• hammer.JPG
    hammer.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 595

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread