Pick and Shovel ??

Dan NM

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2010
Recent Find... Pick and Shovel - Might anyone recognize time frame of either?

These were found in a large grassy lower flat of a SW CO mountain range - nothing resembling habitation anywhere near, beyond RR grade 500+ yards away - found pick and shovel within a couple feet of each other... shovel first, then pick...

Sheer luck MD'ing while walking to an outlook...Found while following tale of lost mine...

One of those finds that I cannot for the life of me figure out why either would have been there ??? I'd think a good pick and shovel wouldn't be something one would misplace, drop, or lose... and being as close as they were to each other I doubt they traveled any distance... nothing else in immediate area...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• pick shovel 001.JPG
    pick shovel 001.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the horse spooked, dropped these and the owner never came back for them?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The straight blade shovel doesn't look that old. Can you make out what it says on it?

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
an animal probably spooked the pack horse or mule and ran off. once it hit the grassy area it started eating and then rolled over to lose the pack on its back. you neve know what else might be there as the pack was probably loade and these were strapped outside. I would do a very detailed search of the area.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pick is cast and can date anywhere from the 1860's-,the shovel does look "newer".I will tell you it is not uncommon at all to find picks and shovels in the various Gold fields.....I have a pile of over 150 picks and probably that many shovels....many in near brand new condition.There may be a makers mark on the pick,and one possibly on the tang of the shovel,which will help to glean more info

OP
OP
D

Dan NM

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2010
creskol said:
The straight blade shovel doesn't look that old. Can you make out what it says on it?

There are few marks that I can't read - but it does say 'CAST' ...

The top edges of the blade (where you'd put your foot while digging) are also cast pieces, that are hammered on...

Shovel really looks like it has seen very little use - and the pick looks as though it saw some use and was sharpened once or twice maybe...

Dan

OP
OP
D

Dan NM

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2010
wwwtimmcp said:
an animal probably spooked the pack horse or mule and ran off. once it hit the grassy area it started eating and then rolled over to lose the pack on its back. you neve know what else might be there as the pack was probably loade and these were strapped outside. I would do a very detailed search of the area.

Thanks...Didn't consider rolling and losing equip....very good possibility...

Grazing makes sense as well, with a small stream only 100 ft or so away...

Dan

OP
OP
D

Dan NM

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2010
kuger said:
The Pick is cast and can date anywhere from the 1860's-,the shovel does look "newer".I will tell you it is not uncommon at all to find picks and shovels in the various Gold fields.....I have a pile of over 150 picks and probably that many shovels....many in near brand new condition.There may be a makers mark on the pick,and one possibly on the tang of the shovel,which will help to glean more info

Boom in this area was 1870's - placer first, then hardrock...

Interesting because there is no history of mining, claims, or placers in this immediate area - everything is at least 8 miles east from this location (100's of mines - Ag, Au)

Cheers,
Dan

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan NM said:
kuger said:

Interesting because there is no history of mining, claims, or placers in this immediate area - everything is at least 8 miles east from this location (100's of mines - Ag, Au)

Cheers,
Dan

Thats what I meant by "newer",newer than 1860's......the cast picks were all the rage in the 1870's-onward(although they were used in the late 1850's).There is a very similar spade,that dates earlier but the tang is different and the "Cast Steel"(I didnt even notice that initially)dates to in the era I have stated...possibly later. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

Dan NM

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2010
kuger said:
Dan NM said:
kuger said:

Cheers,
Dan

Thats what I meant by "newer",newer than 1860's......the cast picks were all the rage in the 1870's-onward(although they were used in the late 1850's).There is a very similar spade,that dates earlier but the tang is different and the "Cast Steel"(I didnt even notice that initially)dates to in the era I have stated...possibly later. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the info...Appreciate it

I'm curious if there were different styles of picks and shovels or differences in design between a common east coast shovel or pick and those used on the west coast...?

Thanks,
Dan

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know?Many of the Cast Picks were made back East?Early (1848-) all of the picks and shovels were made back east and after that were hand forged so they all have a little different look

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions