Pick Axe Parts - what are they called?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These parts fit between the pick head and the handle. Presumably to keep the head tight or strengthen the handle. I’m having a hard time finding a picture of a complete pick axe with these inserts.

I’m wondering if there is a term associated with them and when they went out of style.
These were hand forged by a blacksmith and probably added a bit more effort to making a miners pick.

BDE7FA04-59A6-48EB-B6F9-3C79DF98F7B6.jpeg

6821403C-C4F2-4D34-B41D-DD240C8DF5B0.jpeg

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what they are called, but they are more common on picks with replaceable heads,here are a couple examples. Seem to be more common on German or Eurpoean made picks. s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what they are called, but they are more common on picks with replaceable heads,here are a couple examples. Seem to be more common on German or Eurpoean made picks. View attachment 1620016 View attachment 1620027

Never ran across either style of picks.
Picks did have to be routinely “sharpened” and repaired.
Maybe it was for ease of removal?

I know they were not standard, or widely used around here.
Perhaps later on the quality of pick heads improved or cost went down enough you might just cast it aside if it broke two tips. I definitely don’t find these pieces around depression mining.

I know there is a good example in a nearby museum. I might stop by and take a picture.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A modern pick has a tapered tool end on the handle. The pick is slid down the handle, and the expanded taper keeps the head from flying off. These clamps, or inserts, on a straight handle, serve the same purpose when bolted to the handle shaft.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice old find.Congrats

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Axes have a metal wedge to tighten the handle to the head. Not sure if you call those pieces wedges, though.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as going out of style ... found a couple sites with Czech military surplus picks for sale.

Czech Pick.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread