Pick up only listing.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
You can always get bad feedback. But, eBay should side with you because you listed it with pick up only.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you should be alright there as long as the listing clearly said pick up only.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I don't get the "local pick up only" auctions. What was it and why did you list it that way if you don't mind me asking ? If the buyer is willing to do all the work why would you care ? I sold a pinball machine a couple years ago on Ebay. I was in NH the buyer was in Vegas. I made it clear it had to be picked up OR the buyer had to make all the arrangements for shipping, do all the work, pay the shipper, etc. He paid me for the machine and a few days later a truck from North American Van Lines showed up and loaded it and away it went. Another time I sold a motorcycle to a guy in Oregon. That time he offered me $100 to drop it off at a Forward Air terminal. There it got loaded into a metal container made specifically for shipping motorcycles and away it went. Both cases were pretty hassle free for me and I got alot more for my stuff by allowing anyone to bid as long as they took care of the shipping.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I sold a very old anvil once as a 'pick up only', and the guy drove from VA to IN to pick it up.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the pick up only items are too big to ship. For example, a car engine would be a good example of pick up only.

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I don't get the "local pick up only" auctions. What was it and why did you list it that way if you don't mind me asking ? If the buyer is willing to do all the work why would you care ? I sold a pinball machine a couple years ago on Ebay. I was in NH the buyer was in Vegas. I made it clear it had to be picked up OR the buyer had to make all the arrangements for shipping, do all the work, pay the shipper, etc. He paid me for the machine and a few days later a truck from North American Van Lines showed up and loaded it and away it went. Another time I sold a motorcycle to a guy in Oregon. That time he offered me $100 to drop it off at a Forward Air terminal. There it got loaded into a metal container made specifically for shipping motorcycles and away it went. Both cases were pretty hassle free for me and I got alot more for my stuff by allowing anyone to bid as long as they took care of the shipping.

I rescued a heavy amplifier from the trash and figured I would see if someone wanted this as pick up only. And if not right back in the trash I would put it. Its just something I don't want to pack and ship. Im just trying to flip a piece of free I found for a few $ and if no one wants to pick it up no biggie.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Most of the pick up only items are too big to ship. For example, a car engine would be a good example of pick up only.
I used to manage an auto salvage yard. There are companies that specialize in shipping engines and transmissions. I once shipped an entire Monte Carlo SS from NH to Arkansas. The winning bidder made all the arrangements, paid me immediately for the car and a truck showed up at my house & hauled it away. My point was that if the buyer is willing to make all the arrangements why not just put that in the ad instead of eliminating those bidders completely up front ? Large items can often be shipped very reasonably via Greyhound bus as well but in those cases you would have to actually leave your house & go to the bus terminal... I'm just saying that things are too big is a copout for guys who are simply too lazy to do any research.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I just sold a gas fire place it is heavy and big.. As pick up only…. And i never say will ship if buyer pays freight … It is listed pick up only … And the fire place will be picked up by the buyer this morning …. I never have had a problem with pick up only .. But then i do not give them any other choice……………And oh yes that fire place has been listed for over a year but at last it sold this week….

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Keppy I get it but I just don't understand why people do this. If something is purchased by an out of town buyer and that buyer pays you for it the normal way, Paypal or whatever your preferred method is and then they make ALL the shipping arrangements you are actually better off. The buyer hires the shipper and pays for any insurance he may choose to have. Your responsibility ends when the item leaves your house. With regular small items you're responsible until it arrives safely at their house. What am I missing ? Please allow me to give a personal example. I had a 1987 Monte Carlo SS project car I was trying to sell about 4 years ago. It ran & drove but needed restoration. I tried Ebay with "local pick up only" and started it at $2500 with no reserve (the least I was willing to take). I also listed it on my local craigslist for $2800 or BO. It sat for months. No bids, no offers, just ALOT of hassle with stupid questions and scammers through the craigslist ad. Tire kickers and nitpickers who wanted to take it for a ride & then had no money. I even had one guy who wanted to fight because I wouldn't trade him the car for a canoe & a broken laptop computer.. So I simply got rid of the local pick up disclaimer on my Ebay ad and changed it to say that I would ship IF the buyer made all the arrangements. It sold that week to a buyer in Arkansas for $4200. I got $1700 more than I wanted and it added NO hassle to my life. He sent the money via Paypal and called a bunch of auto transport companies to get the best deal. He made all the arrangements and paid them. I mailed him the title. I left the keys to the car behind the license plate. A couple weeks later while I was at work a truck showed up and took the car. DONE. Couldn't have been any easier.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
NHBandit,, I have sold cars with out pick up only .. The reason they do not have to packed up they go as they are .. Now i live in ohio and the last car i sold the guy wanted to pick it up and he came down from Mass. He rented a car drove down left the rented car here at the rental center paid me and drove the car away….. And i sold 2 cars were they sent a truck to pick them up you see no hassle there …. I sure did not want to try to box up a fire place...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Understood. I just wanted to point out that things don't need to be boxed if the buyer chooses the right shipper. North American Van lines shipped the pinball machine I sold as is. I've shipped engines just strapped to a pallet, etc. But I do understand. All the best. I'm off to an estate auction. Now I just need to try to "behave" and only buy stuff to resell and NOT to keep....

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to get into shipping big items, I have just not done it yet. When I read this thread I thought that the buyer wanted the seller to make all arrangements. I don't necessarily have a problem if the buyer wants to set it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread