Pick

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get a cheap one at ace hardware or lowes in the garden section for a decent price

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time I went to ace or orchard they didn't have fiberglass picks or anything light. Orchard had no picks! I'd go lowe's or Home Depot.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a nice one at harbor freight tool less than $15.00 was the same as homer depot for a bit more

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
Agree with Meteor go to Home Depot. I picked one up with plastic handle ($15) the mounted a rare earth magnet (abt $3 ea) to end and set one in scoop side. Works great!

Attachments

• image-2325716830.jpg
    image-2325716830.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,007
Last edited:

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I had one like the one above from home depot and I broke it the 1st season I had it, now it's just a spike. Go for a forged pick or something with some carbon in the steel. Better to spend 40-80 bucks on a good one than spend 15 plus the 40-80 when it brakes. Just my experience, but eh, I like the small plastic garden trowels and ware em down to a nub before tossing em.
Apex 30-inch Talon

Hodan 24" Detecting Pick

Here is a couple spots selling some nice picks.

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Agreed, Apex is on the wish list, but the other is still working good. If looking for neo magnets, check out K&J Magnetics...

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For prospecting with a detector my favorite is the Hermit pick. Light and it's great for clearing ground or moving a lot of material with one hand. It's a favorite with detectors in the Southwest. That big shovel blade really moves a lot of material. :thumbsup:

My wife swears by hers and won't let anyone else (including me) use hers. :dontknow:

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hermit stye picks are good. They are easy to make from scraps laying around, if you or a friend has a welder and angle grinder. Use a leaf spring and old shovel head cut down.

Also the old German folding army shovels are great little diggers and can take a beating.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although more money the Royal Gold and Relic pick with a 18inch handle is and has been well worth the money. This pick has flush mounted rare earth magnets on the head and Royal has a lifetime warranty on the head. Love it for our gold prospecting and even some of my metal detecting adventures. I would rather buy better quality once than try to cheap out and buy junk quality twice.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a vintage 4 prong clam rake 3 foot handle, it works very well to dig in gravels, ore cobbs or just plain digging a hole.
also works well cleaning up the area after you dig, reclamation work.
Gt................

Cpt. Herbs Desert prospecting tips.....

Last edited:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one like the one above from home depot and I broke it the 1st season I had it, now it's just a spike. Go for a forged pick or something with some carbon in the steel. Better to spend 40-80 bucks on a good one than spend 15 plus the 40-80 when it brakes. Just my experience, but eh, I like the small plastic garden trowels and ware em down to a nub before tossing em.
Apex 30-inch Talon

Hodan 24" Detecting Pick

Here is a couple spots selling some nice picks.

Yup , but it is hard to convince most people to spend that much $$ on one ,,, until they use one for a day, then they can't get one fast enough !

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hello everyone! After detecting for a while I realized I need a hand pick to be efficient but I don't really want to pay too much for one. Anyone have any suggestions for a good, affordable pick that will last a while?

Picked up this old pick head that had a broken handle at an estate sale for a couple bucks. Purchased a new hickory handle at Ace for five bucks.

It looks like it would work great to bust open hard soil. I haven't been able to drag my ass off the beach yet to MD dirt to see how it works. Check those guys that have those boxes of old tools at the swap meets or at estate sales.

P1030806.JPG -- P1030809.JPG

Last edited:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-

Picked up this old pick head that had a broken handle at an estate sale for a couple bucks. Purchased a new hickory handle at Ace for five bucks.

It looks like it would work great to bust open hard soil. I haven't been able to drag my ass off the beach yet to MD to see how it works. Check those guy that have those boxes of old tools at the swap meets or at estate sales.

View attachment 896666 -- View attachment 896668
Great find ! I'd of bought it also.

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Hanging my red handle pick also. Santa was good to me; got an Apex Badger!!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ended up buying the $15 red handled pick from Home Depot.. It broke after a month of use so I bought this royal mining pick.

image-3886847369.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread