Picked up a knife today.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasnt sure if its silver but it said chicagoclub n im from there so i took a chance for a buck. The blade is steel but magnet is not attracted to te handle, i cant find a purity mark anywhere looked like there may have been one by the top of the handle but its unreadable now. image-2998528783.jpg Anyone know of this company and if it may be silver or not? Thanks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Chicago Club is not the maker but came from this elite social club.

Chicago Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, you are probably correct. The mark should be towards the bottom of the handle near where it attaches to the blade. Sometimes the mark will wear off on pieces such as this, so the only way to know is to do an acid test. A real strong magnifying glass can help in situations such as this. I found a piece over the weekend that looks like brass. I couldn't find a mark with my regular magnifying glass. I used my jeweler's 10x loupe and found it was actually 800 silver from Italy.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Two quick things. Acid test like someone said, and stop using a magnet to check for precious and semi precious metals. The handle would have to be made of steel or iron to stick to a magnet. Ferrous metal would never be mistaken for silver or gold.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
To add to diggummups post.It could also have been made before 1908.Sterling had to be marked sterling 1908 and after.Stamp act.

OP
OP
theekman

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. I dont have anything to test it with, ill probably bring it to a jewelry store and they can test it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread