Picked up a nice lot of halves

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a bank on Monday, to get coins (dimes, nickels, pennies) and I bought $10 in CWR halves. Got this 1968D in the roll. The other coins were a skunk.
(I had previously attached this find to one of my prior post)

40% half 10-21.jpg

Went back to the same bank today and got $30 in CWR halves. Each roll had silver.

Roll 1: 1 1969-D
Roll 2: 1963 Ben, 1968-D
Roll 3: 1943 Walker, 1968-D

halves 10-23-19.jpg

BTW, been looking at the metal detecting posts here on Tnet and they find some real neat coins - stuff from the 1800s/early 1900s - and it appears that silver is well preserved buried in the ground. May try my hand at that at some point.

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to metal detecting. I started CRH, or resumed after a 50 year hiatus, only when it got too hot/humid to metal detect in the summer. And the coins in the US can go back much further than you think. I have found Spanish and English coins from the 1500's at my oldest sites.

Oh, and congrats on the CWR silver halves. Your silver % is outstanding! I found a single 40%er in two boxes while watching the World Series last night.

Last edited:

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started CRH with seed money I found from metal detecting (approx. $750 in clad quarters and dimes) over about a 6 year period (usually a couple of days per week after work and some weekends). BTW, I have found some silver coins along the way but, since I mostly detect parks and sports fields, it's mostly new stuff.

I didn't start detecting to find a fortune; but, rather, I wanted to try it before I retired to see if it was a hobby that was going to be enjoyable when I finally stopped working. It is, but I find that, although I have the time, I just don't get out detecting anywhere near as frequently as I did while I was working.

I do find detecting relaxing and therapeutic -- as long as there are no busybodies nearby who make it their life's work to try to undermine my enjoyment.

One other point ... living in Massachusetts means no detecting (actually, no digging) when the ground is frozen -- usually from December thru March, but CRH can be done all year.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes to metal detecting. I started CRH, or resumed after a 50 year hiatus, only when it got too hot/humid to metal detect in the summer. And the coins in the US can go back much further than you think. I have found Spanish and English coins from the 1500's at my oldest sites.

Oh, and congrats on the CWR silver halves. Your silver % is outstanding! I found a single 40%er in two boxes while watching the World Series last night.

Thanks for the congrats.
Yeah, the more I look at the metal detecting posts, the more interested I am. To find something from the 1500s is really cool. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy finding silver in coin rolls, but it seems metal detecting is on a completely different level.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I started CRH with seed money I found from metal detecting (approx. $750 in clad quarters and dimes) over about a 6 year period (usually a couple of days per week after work and some weekends). BTW, I have found some silver coins along the way but, since I mostly detect parks and sports fields, it's mostly new stuff.

I didn't start detecting to find a fortune; but, rather, I wanted to try it before I retired to see if it was a hobby that was going to be enjoyable when I finally stopped working. It is, but I find that, although I have the time, I just don't get out detecting anywhere near as frequently as I did while I was working.

I do find detecting relaxing and therapeutic -- as long as there are no busybodies nearby who make it their life's work to try to undermine my enjoyment.

One other point ... living in Massachusetts means no detecting (actually, no digging) when the ground is frozen -- usually from December thru March, but CRH can be done all year.

I am in the NYC area so yeah the ground is frozen mostly the same time. I am going to do some research about detectors and permits & where I can search legally. In NYC proper they issue a permit for you to detect in a number of city parks. NY State doesn't allow you to detect in State Parks and I guess every town is different.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the NYC area so yeah the ground is frozen mostly the same time. I am going to do some research about detectors and permits & where I can search legally. In NYC proper they issue a permit for you to detect in a number of city parks. NY State doesn't allow you to detect in State Parks and I guess every town is different.

State parks are off-limits nearly everywhere, with a few exceptions for modern swimming beaches. There are some exceptions like Coin Beach DE where shipwreck coins can be found. I greatly prefer hunting private property with permission. Decide what you would most enjoy finding first and then determine where it is most likely to be found. For example, I prefer old coins, 1800's and earlier, and colonial relics, so I hunt sites of towns burned by the British in 1814, now farm fields. Check first with friends and relatives for old sites.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, been looking at the metal detecting posts here on Tnet and they find some real neat coins - stuff from the 1800s/early 1900s - and it appears that silver is well preserved buried in the ground. May try my hand at that at some point.
Silver here almost always comes from the ground shiny, over the years I’ve dug hundreds. Problem is, even the nicest silver coin carries environmental damage such as hairline scratches. No matter to me, I’m a collector, not a seller.

If you like coins, I bet you’ll really like metal detecting.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
State parks are off-limits nearly everywhere, with a few exceptions for modern swimming beaches. There are some exceptions like Coin Beach DE where shipwreck coins can be found. I greatly prefer hunting private property with permission. Decide what you would most enjoy finding first and then determine where it is most likely to be found. For example, I prefer old coins, 1800's and earlier, and colonial relics, so I hunt sites of towns burned by the British in 1814, now farm fields. Check first with friends and relatives for old sites.

What I am going to do is research over the winter while the ground is frozen and then figure it out next spring. I keep reading posts of what people have found, and I know it is clearly not an everyday occurrence, but you have the potential to find really old stuff. Also, given that we are in the East, that potential goes up rather significantly.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went back to the same bank on Monday to get the rest (I think) of the halves - $60 worth

9 - 40%
2 - 1964
3 - Ben

Roll 1: 1962, 1962-D, 1964, 1968-D
Roll 2: 1968-D, 1969-D

10-28 halves rolls 1-2.jpg

Roll 3: 1964, 1968-D (2x)
Roll 4: 1967

10-28 halves rolls 3-4.jpg

Roll 5: 1966, 1969-D, 1963
Roll 6: 1969-D

10-28 halves rolls 5-6.jpg

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CJ: now that's what you call being at the right bank at the right time.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always buy them all!!!!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice buys. And yes all federal grounds including Historical houses are off limits to detect. I Found out the hard way. No charges were filed. I just didn't see the sign plus the contractor that gave me permission didn't know either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread