RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a picket post, and of all the locations that I selected, I never would have guessed it to be in my front yard! I found a bayonet scabbard tip, and a bullet on the same day, the bullet located no more than ten feet away from the sidewalk. I pounded the yard after that, and nothing remains except for iron signals. The bullet and scabbard tip are both Union made, and the only regiment to have been in the area was the 117th Ohio Volunteer infantry, later the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery. They were camped nearby around Sept. 8, 1862. The post was found exactly one mile away from where they were camped, on top of the biggest hill around. There were other hills, and I guess I have to search those too. How far apart were pickets spread?

36z68b.jpg

Picture and finds by me, quote by GAR member, 1904. The picture was taken in my yard.

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Couple nice saves there Ethan! Best of luck :icon_thumright:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it Rusty. Nice finds of the bullet and scabbard tip. Hit those other hills in the vicinity. That was cool to find some CW relics in your own yard. Good job on the pic. along with the quote you posted.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0151.jpg DSC_0152.jpg

Found a brass toe plate!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad says that I should have found more if this was a picket post. Maybe a sentry post?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad says that I should have found more if this was a picket post. Maybe a sentry post?

IMHO
There should be more esp, if they were Union (they were pretty wasteful); Tho depending on when your home was built , the site could have been detected before ???

Or there is more ( yea that's it ) you just gotta work harder to find them . Good Luck. & Thanks for the pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions