Picking a spot on a river.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
So yesterday I printed up a map of a local river here in upstate SC which gold was first found in over 100 years ago. The same river which has 2 placer gold mines not 2 miles away from where I live. I spent some time panning along a couple different overgrown bridges and overpasses on this river before meeting a nice man who owned some land next to the river who told me I could prospect on his property anytime I wanted. He also told me his dad used to tell him stories about all the prospectors who would spend all day panning this river and make 20-40 dollars a day in the early days (around 1908).

The panning was slow going so I got my sluice with an extra long inspection mat (a copy of this sluice here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,176317.0.html ) and proceeded to run some material from several spots through it.

The river has so much black sand that after only a couple shovel fulls it would fill up the riffles and I would have to stop and clean it out. At first I was happy I was hitting black sand because I thought that meant I would surely find some color, but no luck. I moved locations several times, working material from both sides of the banks but I didnt find anything.

Can you guys give me some tips on where I should be looking? I dug mostly under/into some sandbars, along the banks, and behind big rocks in the river. I stayed away from the gravel locations but I am wondering now If I made a mistake in doing so. I still havent panned a lot of the 10 pounds of black sand I got from the sluice cleanups, but the couple pounds I did pan I didnt see any color but there are alot of little garnets and other clear stones, along with some lead and buckshot.

When I go back tomorrow I will take some pictures. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Upvote 0

hunterx1

Greenie
Jun 16, 2009
Tie a few feet of fishing line to some small lead weights and affix balloons to the line... set it loose down the river and watch where the weights settle - that's a good place to start your hunt for gold.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
LMAO thats why i always bring my fishing gear when i prospect.

wherever the bait and weight goes thats where the gold goes(i usually hang a 1/4 to 1 oz weight on my line)

use a magnet to clean the magnetics from your riffles as they load up so any gold will get caught up in the vortex behind the riffles instead of blowing over them and out the end of your sluice.

start hammering the moss and roots as well as the sides of the river and check the blows and shutes because these places will load up when a plug forms.

JD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread