Picking the correct digging trowel

Z

ZumbroKid

Well, I'm sure everyone has run into this one starting out. We buy a detector and it comes with a plastic trowel or none at all. We go thru several, they either do not do the job or break in the hard soil. Some work in one type of soil better than others. But this is not a brand choice topic thread. I'm sure there are better ones than the yellow handled one i got at the whites dealer. It is ok for demo sites, but is not a great clean plug cutter. But this is about not wasting money on a trowel that well end up bent out of shape right away. Go to a hardware store and test them in the store. Physicaly give them the bend test. If you can not do it by hand, angle it on the floor and use your foot. If they bend, hang them back and pick another one. After all if they do not make the grade, you will be back for another one. Save time and money by picking the better one first. Hope this tip is helpful to some.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Gator digger from KellyCo. It bent, I sent it back and they replaced it free. The second has not bent. It has a nice cerated edge for cutting roots and grass plugs. I still doubt the ruggedness, so I bought a Predator as a backup. It does not have a cerated edge but it will did through anything that can be dug through.

Ed Donovan.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does the store clerk say when they see all the bent trowels hanging on the shelf, and you're standing there holding one? ??? :P

;D ;D

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
Hi Gang, I purchased a heavy duty gator digger actually two on6 about 6 inches short and one long about 10 inches both have red handles from Clevengers in Gladstone, Mo. about 25 years ago and never bent and still in use. Actually I am using them in Scotland now! Bill Pierce

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Never paid big bucks for a "metal detecting digger".

Local hardware store always has some good garden tools;
also carry some bad cheap ones.

Been satisfied for years and years with my selections.

all have a good un...............

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I am still looking for a great digging tool, most will bend earlier than later....

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I still haven't found the right multi purpose digging tool. Besides metal detecting I dig Ginseng, bottle dumps etc. The areas where I like to hunt I have to carry everything I need in by rucksack so weight is allways a factor. Good luck.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I use a U.S. army issue bayonet for real hard soil. I also use a Lesche for digging in areas with a lot of roots. In softer areas I use a trowel with a sharpened edge.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I bought a Lesche Pradator myeself. Model 85. I was a little reluctant at first because of it's resemblance to a bayonet. Around here, where people are very up tight about weapons and all I don't want to go out with too intimidating of a presense It doesn't have any sharp edges though and has a rounded tip. If I were to get confronted by a curious police officer, I am sure it would be OK. My first thoughts, though, were why draw the attention in the first place. However, from the limited use where I have used it, it does cut through the sod and soil pretty good and seems pretty sturdy. I have never had a feeling of flimsyness or flexing. The thinner profile of the tip helps to make it cut through the ground pretty nicely.

I have some vague recallection that, when I first researched the Lesche tools, I learned that Lesche makes a lot of professional tools for the landscaping and nursery industry and that the Predator, if not the same thing is similar or designed based on a model of digger that is used by the military and issued to the troops.

http://predatortools.com/

It has a curved scoop and looks like most garden trowels except for the serrated edge. It seemed a bit more heavy duty than anything that I was finding at the local hardware or home center. It also has the teeth on the edge for cutting through tree roots which I thought would be beneficial. When I actually received the digger in the mail, I was impressed with the softness and comfort of the grip also.

Here is a picture of what I have in my detecting bucket.

MDtools.jpg

Before the Lesche, I had another digger that seemed well made and all. It was made of a similar heavy quality steel and was formed from one piece which is something I would suggest people look for. Fewer welds and all are better. A lot of the diggers I saw at the hardware had little scooped blades tack welded to a flimsy handle. Eventually the handle bends or breaks off. Fewer parts and more that is one piece means that you don't need to worry about that. In most cases, you probably won't find something one piece so look carefully at the way that parts are attached. Look at the quality of welds.

Comparing the two diggers pointed above. I would lean toward the predator due to it's sleeker profile. The pointier tip means less resistance when you plunge it into the ground. The other digger has a more broad nose but is sharpened. That could, I think, be a little dangerous so be carful. Also, I liked the grip on the Predator more. The black handled digger is similar to others that I have seen but like I said, this one is a one pice construction of good quality steel that has the handle bent to form a triangle, I think. Then the grip is applied over that. Very sturdy and far better than some of the similar looking but cheaper immitations.

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
For most digging and coin hunting I use an old Henkels kitchen knife sharpened on both sides. I have only been using it this year so I don't know how well it will stand up...

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
If it works for you and you feel safe with it, I guess that is what is important. Also, you might be careful out in public with it as it could be in violation of laws, depending on it's length and all. Might be legally considered a weapon outside of a kitchen and modified like you describe. I cringe though thinking of your description. I have a Henkles knife that I use in the Kitchen that I paid $70 for. It is a Chefs knife. One of the best knives I have ever used for slicing and chopping... Don't know the length but about 9" from handle to tip or whatever is common in that size range. Mine has a molded plastic handle. There was another version of the same knife with 2 wooden pieces riveted on. The blade and the metal that runs up the handle are one piece sandwiched or encased with the handle. That would is good as you wouldn't need to worry about welds or the handle breaking off easilly. Something that concerns me though is the thinness and possible flex of the blade and the fact that you say both edges are sharpened. I am sure these knives are not designed for digging and if it doesn't have enough flex, it could, maybe snap rather than bend. That would seem dangerous to me. I know my Henkles is dangerous enough with one side sharpened and it is pretty stiff metal. But then I guess the question here is how sharpened is yours. Could you slice an onion or carrot with both edges? Chop some celery or carve a thanksgiving turkey. That would be scary. Or, are you referring sharpened or honed to a dull edge?

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like this one from Fiskars.

Attachments

• big grip.jpg
    big grip.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,291
  • big grip.jpg
    big grip.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 692

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I use the Fiskars Big Grip too - tough tool, but not too heavy. Can cut a nice clean plug in sod with it. If you can't find e'm locally, you can get 'em off E-Bay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread