Pickle or Snuff Bottle? Unknown Manufactures Mark

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I've had this bottle for about two years and have been unable to determine the manufacturer. Also, I'm unsure if it is a snuff or pickle bottle. Maybe deciphering the manufacture can help.

The mark is a "D" superimposed over a "V" or "U" - there is also clearly a "&" and the letters "Co"

The bottom reads, "Pat April 27 1875" and has the letters "RIL". The RIL can only be read with a loupe.

Thanks...I labeled some areas within the photos...hopefully it helps.

_DSC1091 - Copy.JPG _DSC1095 - Copy.JPG _DSC1096 - Copy.JPG

Here are the photos without my marks...

_DSC1091.JPG _DSC1095.JPG _DSC1096.JPG

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey mdavidf,

It's a pickle. Du Vivier & Co. 49 Broad St. N.Y. for Windsor Manor Pickles., 49 Broad St., N.Y. for Windsor Manor Pickles. There's a comprehensive listing for the firm. in this 1885 directory: NEW YORK'S GREAT INDUSTRIES - Google Books

GROC1_025.JPG

OP
OP
M

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias, amigo! I've been banging my head against the wall for nearly two years :BangHead: Someone had me nearly convinced once that it was Vogeler Drug. Anyway, thank you.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
md: Welcome to Treasure Net !
surf: Great ID !

According to the book 19th century in glass written by Betty Zumwalt this bottle was used by Du Vivier & Co. 49 Broad St. N.Y. for Windsor Manor Pickles. ( Hence the D.V. Co monogram) Also present is the base embossed with the patent date of April 27,1875 .
Here's another pic. of the same type bottle (click on the bottle image):
Du Vivier & Co. Windsor Pickle and Preserve Jar L@@K!
Don.......

OP
OP
M

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank, Don. Once I discovered the name associated with the manufacturer's mark I did a search and saw the WorthPoint listing.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your help!

David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread