Picnic grounds gives up silver halves and the usual silver dimes etc.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
;D ;D The silver dimes were still coming from this picnic grounds that started out at the turn of the 19th/20th century. I found four mercs in fairly quick order and then another worn Barber quarter(1909). I still couldn't believe that there were no silver halves to be found. More wheats and some silver rosies came to light. The sun was shining and I was determined to keep hunting until I found something significant. I kept saying to myself, let me find a half or a token. Then finally I got a strong signal at 6 inches. I thought it would be a half, but it was one of those large Palmolive tokens for a free cake of soap. There's my token, now where's my half. I stood up from digging the token and said to myself "I want a half even if it's a '64 Kennedy. A few minutes later I flip the sod back and see a beautiful..........1964 Kennedy half. After that, I thought the power of suggestion was paying off. I had to go for a battery/ R&R break. When I came back I added some more silver dimes and then got a nice loud reading at 5 inches. I thought let it be another silver quarter, and it was(1946). Two inches away and the same reading reveals a 1950 quarter, but wait there's more. Searching the hole I spied a nice large silver edge, a sweet 1945 Walker. :o :o
IM000717.jpg

IM000718.jpg

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds every trip are amazing! Thank your lucky stars you found a virgin spot! Those are a rarity! Protect it with your life! :)

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Power of suggestion huh? Gotta try that. Awesome hunt nad finds Daytondigger!!! Now maybe suggest a5,10,or20 gold coin lol Hope it works! HH Tom

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
bscofield6 said:
Your finds every trip are amazing! Thank your lucky stars you found a virgin spot! Those are a rarity! Protect it with your life! :)
So true, I've been detecting since I was 12 or so(40 now) and this is only the second virgin park/picnic area I've hunted. The first one was a State Park, and I wasn't aware at the time that our state didn't allow us to metal detect in our own parks, but it took 'em a day and a half to get around to throwing us out. That was after dozens of silver coins including a 1907-O Barber half, my first. I am relishing the fact that I am welcome any time, and I just want everybody to know that if you talk to enough people about your hobby, it'll eventually pay off!!

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
toolman61 said:
Power of suggestion huh? Gotta try that. Awesome hunt nad finds Daytondigger!!! Now maybe suggest a5,10,or20 gold coin lol Hope it works! HH Tom
Well, it doesn't seem to work with gold coins, otherwise I'd have a mound of 'em by now.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - talk about a dream hunt!!! Congrats!!!! :thumbsup:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great hunt! I have a couple spots picked out for cooler weather and one of them is an old picnic/fairgrounds. I sure hope I have a day like you. HH Charlie

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
savant365 said:
Great hunt! I have a couple spots picked out for cooler weather and one of them is an old picnic/fairgrounds. I sure hope I have a day like you. HH Charlie
Neither rain nor sleet nor snow(nor heat) could keep me away from an old pinic/fairgrounds :tongue3:. Good luck with your hunts.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
daytondigger said:
savant365 said:
Neither rain nor sleet nor snow(nor heat) could keep me away from an old pinic/fairgrounds :tongue3:. Good luck with your hunts.

It got up to 97 degrees here today and about 80% humidity...it'll have to wait lol

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
It got up to 97 degrees here today and about 80% humidity...it'll have to wait lol
[/quote]
Wow!!!!! Maybe I'm just all talk, did you ever consider that? ;D I wasn't thinking a hundred and some heat factor, that's nuts.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Dude!... You make me sick!!! Sick with envy that is.. All that SILVER!!!! I'd have passed out with ONE silver coin.. let alone a whole handfull of them. Way to go my man! Happy Hunting!

Frodov

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dayton, looks like you found a silver mine. What kind of park was it?

SKD
Beavecreek

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow!!! :o

I've been following your posts this week, and you have found a spot anyone on this forum would love to get their coils over. I love the challenge of a pounded park in trying to squeak out a few silvers, but if I could find a spot like yours, I'd be all over it!!

Fantastic Finds!!
I'm wondering what your final tally will be at those picnic grounds. ::)

CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread