Picnic grounds gives up SL quarter, 2 washingtons & 5 dimes

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Picnic grounds gives up SL quarter, 2 washingtons & 5 dimes

Back to the picnic grounds and another exciting day. I started the day out with the 5 inch coil in one of the trashier areas. I soon dug a 1919 merc, wheaties and a couple rosies. Then the old finds screached to a halt. So, while I still had the small coil on the detector, I decided to rehit an older parking area and see if I missed any goodies hidden by tabs and foil etc.. I pinpointed a deep signal and dug up a 1936 wheatie. I rescanned the hole and heard another target which was a couple inches offset from the first target, or roughly the distance over to where my 3in1 knife had just sliced down through!! There it was, a beauty of a 1927 Standing Liberty Quarter with a lovely scratch on the face. Hey, at least it had a nice clear date. I switched back to my larger coil and wondered around aimlessly for a while. Picked up many wheaties and clad and a nice '42 merc and another rosie. I then decided to rehit the area where I found a couple Barber dimes. I had a good target that just spoke I'M SILVER. It was a nice sterling ring. A few minutes later, I got that same sweet sound through my headphones. I start digging and I suddenly hear a buzzing sound. :icon_scratch: ??? ..........Wait somethings on my arm.....AHHHHHH!!!....swat...swat......AHHHHHHH!!!. HORNETS, run, run away fast. Prepare to dive into car.......wait my CZ-5 is out there under the suspect hornets tree. I waited a few minutes and headed for the detector.....AHHHHH!! there's even more and they seem to be really P.O'd. So I make my plan, approach from the other side at warp speed, flip the sod over grab the detector, drag the headphones along for the ride and dive into the truck. They chased me all the way, but I made it. Hornets are the most painful sting out there folks. :'(
IM000725.jpg

IM000726.jpg

Upvote 0

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Re: Picnic grounds gives up SL quarter, 2 washingtons & 5 dimes

Way to go! You are a coin killer out there with that machine! :thumbsup:

More gorgeous Mercs!!! The SLQ & Washington's are great also! ;D

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

You cleaned up out there!

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.

always good to hear those coin signals nice digs.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX

Nice digs, and way to come back in one piece

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice job :thumbsup: especially finding the SLQ, they're a rare find.

Nat

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro

Silver GOOD - Hornets BAD! I would've had to change my shorts. Allergic as hell to them little creeps. Great finds and I second Washingtonian - glad you made it out in one piece!

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro

Man you kickin arse with that CZ-5. I feel you I got into a yellow jacket net last summer mowing. Them suckers hurt but I bet the hornets were worse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread