Pics of "Silver" Ikes

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
Pics of "Silver" Ikes

I have no clue what's up with these. No mint mark, definitely silver of some kind, no edge line...

I attached a pic of the obverses and a close-up of the edges with a clad on top of the stack for comparison.

Attachments

• obverse.jpg
    obverse.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 433
  • edges.jpg
    edges.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pics of "Silver" Ikes

So that's what silver Ike's look like huh.....very nice WB!! Thanks for the pictures. So what is the story? Pick these up at a bank? Do tell....ha!

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro

I had some like that too but if you get a gram scale you would know they are not silver. I did have soem that were silver. Also like I said before do the old bar napkin trick.

Good Luck
Cat

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know, maybe plated?

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA

Very nice! My bank that I order halves from has a $500 box of IKE's that they ordered for someone who never picked them up...Anyone here want them? Let me know and I will send for $10 in a flat rate mailer box from the post office after payment...I'd look at them myself but they are hard to get rid of...and I'm getting busy....email me if you want them...I know some of you collect them...My last four boxes of halves yielded 24 X 40% and 7 X 90%...Two boxes were skunks and the coins came from the other two...I'm lucky as I live in the middle of the two coin vault districts for BofA. I've done well in the past from the northern district but the silver has kind of slowed..now I will start ordering from the southern coin vault as well. Just a note, when I asked the teller down south by me she told me they couldn't get halves..."They just don't send them"...I had to tell her about the other BofA that I order from up north has no problem getting me $4000 a week...She said, "I don't know that for a fact." She was nice enough and said she would check on the availability and would order the coins and took my number. Looks like no competition! She said I would have to take the whole box because they couldn't get "rid" of them...I told her I wanted four boxes and I would GLADLY come in Monday morning to pay cash...She looked at me like I was a Martian and said she would order them if she could.... ::) Don't take no for an answer!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

As has been stated a couple of times already this month...........

"Only the "S" mint marked '71, '72, '73, '74 & '76 Ikes are 40%ers; and not even all....as some are CuNi."

The ones in the photo must be plated or just have a "silver-look" to them.

XX

Jan 11, 2008

The drop test is the easiest. Drop a normal IKE on the table and listen to the sound. Now drop each IKE in question. If the IKE is 40%Ag, it would sound significantly different (there will be no mistaking the sound difference). If they sound the same, they are silver plated (or nickel plated) regular IKES. If they do sound different, there is the possibility of an off-metal or grease filled die (although you have to admit that would be rare).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread