SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I recently got back from an artifact hunting trip, and I found this item. Naturally I was excited when I found it, but I was thrilled once I got home and cleaned the mud off. It revealed a picture of some sort. To me it looks like a person, or a star, or a flower. There is also a thin arch etched into the stone above the picture. I am very new to artifact hunting and can't even say for sure what this artifact is. I would call it a very crude spear point. It's about 4" long. The only thing I do know without a doubt, is that it was pulled from the ground exactly as is. What do you guys think? Is this common?

DSC00589_zpsat2fv53g.jpg

DSC00587_zps1vfwv919.jpg

DSC00586_zps1uzyxwlh.jpg
[/URL]

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool looking Point, but you are calling a "picture engraved" into the stone is actually the remnants of a Crinoid Fossil. Very cool, but not engraved.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Grim Reaper is right you can see different fossils on the piece. Really Cool though!

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I've got to admit that I was skeptical at first. Not that I doubted you, I was just believing my own eyes. It doesn't look like a fossil to me. It really looks like it is etched in. But this google image has me convinced. I'm only slightly disappointed. As cool as it is to have a fossil combined with an Indian artifact, I really liked the idea of a personal touch to the work.
d8d0c58c762714bdef021e913e22c4d5_zps7op0moib.jpg

But it does make sense considering these other artifacts that we found in the same area, also embedded with fossils.
IMG_2528_zps10otwaff.jpg

IMG_2527_zpsw9zjm0yr.jpg

IMG_2525_zpsdyp19kfs.jpg

IMG_2524_zpslqex72jk.jpg

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Very cool! Fossils and artifacts, two of my favorite things together....I have a few like that as well.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a chocolate peanut butter cup - fossils and points go great together! :)

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool post thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions