picture hallmark on gold?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you ever see a picture hallmark on gold? The locket has several pictures on the bail. I had a horrid time trying to get a decent picture. This is the best I could do:

hallmark DSC_2417.JPG

On the first part there are 2 dots like a colon:
then a 9
then an anchor

(I'm not sure if that is upside down, and it is an anchor, then a 6 and than the colon.)

The second part has an ^ or triangle
a person's head (can't tell if it is a man or woman)
and then 585

Any ideas?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The anchor mark has always been a giveaway for British silver and it means Birmingham. Yours is a bit different looking then most but the rest of the marks appears to be of the Crown. The head profile mark looks to be a duty mark and closely resembles William IV which was used from 1831-1836. The 585 is the mark of 14K.

Could you post a picture of the actual piece? That might help get an idea of how old it is by the style/craftsmanship.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it look like mixed metals? The head might be a symbol for palladium.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The first jeweler said it was very old. The second guy told me it was not. It was like '60s oldest. Then again, this is the same guy who told me my coral necklace was 60s and the vintage shop agreed with my friend that it is Victorian, 1890- 1910 or something like that.

aa DSC_2363.JPG aa DSC_2312.JPG aa DSC_2368.JPG aa DSC_2370.JPG

It's not yellow gold, and it doesn't quite look like rose gold. Maybe something in between. I was scared to clean it up. I didn't want to ruin it if it is old. It's about 3/4" high not including the bail. The locket is heavy and very solid.

(and yeah, that's me in the last picture with my big DSLR trying to get good pictures.)

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,I have these type of hallmarks on Gold jewelry,I have bought rings before that were marked this way, you should check the British hallmarks site. Great find!

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.. My first look at that I thought it was a pair of ladies legs crossed over while she wore a white skirt/dress.

The locket is concave. I'm upside down. :-) I was wearing a white top.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The triangle is a symbol used for Birmingham exports. I think the anchor is representing the Birmingham assay not necessarily metal content... It is a beautiful locket that I would have a hard time parting with :)

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The triangle is a symbol used for Birmingham exports. I think the anchor is representing the Birmingham assay not necessarily metal content... I also think the "585" mark wasn't used until the 1970's but I am not certain on that, just what I remember reading somewhere??? It is a beautiful locket! :)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure the "9" is actually a "g". That would date it to 2006.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Great help! I want to list it. This is great. I think that the head is from 2002 though. It looks like the commemoration of Queen Elizabeth that I found online.

thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions