Pictures From Hunting With Fellow Forum Member.

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
The sea was angry that day my friends!!!

A few Sundays ago I took a more experienced forum member, abarnard, to my little spot I had stumbled upon in the Oak Hill area of Austin. He is a geologist and helped me with so much it is impossible to convey within these confines! Thank you again Adam!! And he was up the challenge since we had a 30% chance of rain. Well, it rained.

When we first arrived at the foot of the hill by a natural pond it was very foggy. Perfect hunting weather. Then it started to sprinkle. He has the foresight to pack rain gear. I left mine in my truck.

The rain started to pick up the pace as we found ourselves lost within a maze of natural springs that started bursting from the limestone. I just had on a short sleeve shirt, shorts, and hiking boots and it was a little chilly. I reached my saturation level quickly and just kept looking down. He left with about an hour of sun left. All I found after he left was... a golf ball!! (Hence the Seinfeld reference.)

I had my most productive day by far thanks to his advice and help. Here are just a few of the specimens we found. There is a wide variety so I tried to narrow it down a bit. As always any help is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again Adam and I am sure to see you again soon!! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• ROCKS 1.jpg
    ROCKS 1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 485
  • ROCKS 2.jpg
    ROCKS 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 490
  • ROCKS 3.jpg
    ROCKS 3.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 496
  • ROCKS 4.jpg
    ROCKS 4.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 493
  • ROCKS 5.jpg
    ROCKS 5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 476
  • ROCKS 11.jpg
    ROCKS 11.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 479
  • ROCKS 10.jpg
    ROCKS 10.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 484
  • ROCKS 9.jpg
    ROCKS 9.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 478
  • ROCKS 8.jpg
    ROCKS 8.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 473
  • ROCKS 7.jpg
    ROCKS 7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 475
  • ROCKS 6.jpg
    ROCKS 6.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 490
  • ROCKS 12.jpg
    ROCKS 12.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Very good, Nigel, I see a couple of points in there and some blades and chips, hopefully your eyes will get better as time goes by...nice pieces...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nigel have been waiting to see this post of you and Abarnard hunting together. The guy sure is nice and knows his rocks. From following your post this looks to be your best hunt yet? I wanted to ask if being with another hunter who has a little more experience helped you any? Did you learn anything? I remember hunting with my old mentors and they were kind enough to help me and.. help me focus a little better.I used to come home weighing an extra 10 lbs from all the rocks,LOL.
Looks like you guys had a fun good time.
Any verdicts on the pottery you have been finding???
Nice post !
HH
TnMountains

OP
OP
Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
TnMountains said:
Nigel have been waiting to see this post of you and Abarnard hunting together. The guy sure is nice and knows his rocks. From following your post this looks to be your best hunt yet? I wanted to ask if being with another hunter who has a little more experience helped you any? Did you learn anything? I remember hunting with my old mentors and they were kind enough to help me and.. help me focus a little better.I used to come home weighing an extra 10 lbs from all the rocks,LOL.
Looks like you guys had a fun good time.
Any verdicts on the pottery you have been finding???
Nice post !
HH
TnMountains

Yeah, we did have a blast, despite the 3+ inches of rain that fell on us. Needless to say we had fresh erosion. The one thing I noticed right away was how much more quickly he could cover ground than me. The limestone gave him fits, too, which was somehow validating. ;D ;D

It is such a huge area and we are planning on going back out soon to places I have yet to hunt. Thank you for the kind words as it was my best haul by a long shot.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
on the first image lower center the piece looks like Knife River Flint

is it?

if so it is from stanton, north dakota

OP
OP
Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
larson1951 said:
on the first image lower center the piece looks like Knife River Flint

is it?

if so it is from stanton, north dakota

Here is a better image. I find this style of ergonomically perfect pieces quite often in Austin. They always have three marks where they appear to have been worked. It is a simple yet highly functional piece.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• THE PIXIES 4 002.jpg 7.jpg
    THE PIXIES 4 002.jpg 7.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 198

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread