Pictures from my first try at Detecting!

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, new to metal detecting here. A few already welcomed me in the newbie thread. I just got into metal detecting, thought it would be a nice "easy" hobby to try when I wasn't out gold prospecting, but I'm quickly learning it's not as easy as it first appeared! Having fun already though. I live in Washington state and travel all over the northwest looking for new interesting places to check out. I've always wanted a metal detector since as long as I can remember, and it was a conversation with someone at work last week that finally convinced me to get one and take a shot at it. I ended up with a Teknetics Delta 4000. I kinda wanted one that would be better for finding gold since I like to prospect here and there as well... but the better ones for that seemed a little outta my price range. I figure if I stick with it I might save up and get one just for gold hunting later on. Anyway, I took my new detector out for a spin yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by how little it weighed, I think the box said it was only two pounds! It kinda felt like a toy and at first I was a little afraid I might break it if I swung it around too much! But after getting a hang of the controls I started finding items left and right. It pinged so much I thought no way was there that many things buried underground! But the more I dug the more I found. Seemed like the detector was pretty accurate at identifying the type of materials I was finding too. I found my first item within a few feet of stepping out of my car...

My very first find: A dog tag!
metA.jpg

It didn't take me long to get hooked, I was trying to dig up every last little thing that pinged. I ended up finding what appeared to be the remains of buried rail road track.

met4.jpg

I was searching not too far from where an old fort was built in the 1830s and run into a few items I think might be from that period, but since I have zero experience identifying these types of things perhaps I'm just seeing what I want to believe rather than what it is.

Maybe an old button or even a bullet?

met1.jpg

This was a very heavy metal object, one edge was flat and the other side looked like it had a sharp edge carved into it almost like a very rough blade??

met5.jpg met6.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from the picture but the center of the item was raised a little more than the edges but I have no idea what this is.

met7.jpg

And last but not least, my very first coin! It was only a nickel but hey, it counts...

met8.jpg

I might not have found an ancient treasure trove yet, but I had a great time on my first outing getting to learn how to use my detector. After I got home I read that the area I was in had a fort nearby that had been used as an ammo supply and a fur trading post too. And there had been a few conflicts with native Americans long ago. So I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that I might be able to find some neat items in the future when I go back. Hopefully I'll find more interesting things in the coming weeks and months to share with you all!

Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dog tag was a good first find.. I'm sure that most people dig a pull-tab on their first signal

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt - Congratulations! :icon_thumright:

ELITE

Jan 1, 2013
louisiana
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FIRST FINDS
WAIT IS THIS SIZE FONT TO SMALL I KNOW I CANT READ IT!!! JUST KIDDING:laughing7:

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty kool. Keep digging them nickels, eventually you will end up digging gold, ring etc., they put out the same signal. Also, you might find a war nickel 1942-1945, they have 35% silver in them. There are lots of treasures out there waiting for an md'er to come along.
Happy Hunting :)

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABJ,
As you are finding 'stuff' is lost everywhere, all the time! There's lots to learn about any detector so practice with it frequently and you will get much better with it and you will also learn what it is telling you. Best of Luck, ...........63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread