Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
DSC00625.JPG DSC00621.JPG

same stone different ends...

DSC00620.JPG DSC00624.JPG

almost shaped like a war club, but probably coincidence. Question here. would it be a creek stone polished naturally or would they polish a favored tool? Hmmm...

anyway a closer view of the working end.

DSC00626.JPG

now what on Gods' blue earth would they have been hammering? the impact fractures seem peculiar. Any ideas?

HH

Attachments

• DSC00622.JPG
    DSC00622.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Pretty little hammerstone! Most likely used in percussion flaking.

sleepyny333

Mar 17, 2014
Mechanicville New York
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most hammer stones have divots and dimples on the ends, most hammer stones are not polished, yet we find a select amount that were used as idol stones, and personal identity stones as a multi purpose tool. Several of my studies include picture stones that were rubbed onto the faces, this had increased at sites that were under attack by other groups or natural disasters, ie. Younger-Dryas period. Most likely from viewing this stone the dimple marks were made from hammering a fossil or harder stone or metal on another stone. The piece is made of chalcedony, agate, if in fact this is an artifact it would of belonged to the second tier.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Very neat piece. It does look like it's seen some use as a hammerstone, or maybe an ancient knapper was going for bipolar reduction (spilt it in half) by setting it on an anvil stone and hitting it on top. The cobble would split into two halves, and be worked from there. It would have been a pretty lithic.

Also, check out gastroliths. They are stones swallowed by dinosaurs that are rounded and polished like that. If you are in an area where they are found, that might be it.

What? Idol stones?
Most hammer stones have divots and dimples on the ends, most hammer stones are not polished, yet we find a select amount that were used as idol stones, and personal identity stones as a multi purpose tool. Several of my studies include picture stones that were rubbed onto the faces, this had increased at sites that were under attack by other groups or natural disasters, ie. Younger-Dryas period. Most likely from viewing this stone the dimple marks were made from hammering a fossil or harder stone or metal on another stone. The piece is made of chalcedony, agate, if in fact this is an artifact it would of belonged to the second tier.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I had forgotten all abt this post. it got recycled apparently by sleepyny333. Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the comments all.

My thoughts are along joshuaeams' lines. Possibly a gastrolith, but I'm unsure if found in this area. ( you bet I will do some research on it soon, however) other than that a smoothly polished creek stone found and repurposed as a hammerstone by humans.

happy trails

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread