Piece from Civil War Training Camp - Please Help Identify

S

Sandy

Hi All,
Great News, got out with my hunting partner today, and the civil war training camp has been found....I did a happy dance. I found this piece, but not certain what it is, but for now, I will call it a button. It measure approximately 1" across, and the shank, or whatever it is on the back measures approximately 3/8" long. On the front it reads WARRANTED SUPERIOR...and has a type of sideview of an eagle on it..holding a twig with some leaves. Along with this, I found some clay pottery on the site, some with the blue feather edge on it, and another piece with some tiny pink flowers and green leaves..and some plain tan. I also found a piece of an old bottle, it is amber in color. Tons of iron there too. If you can help me identify my "Button"...I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sandy

Pardon me!

It ISN'T FAKE. I dug it myself in an area of a civil war training camp. However, the picture that I posted was not clear by any means. It's the real deal!

tennessee jed

Mar 27, 2003
easy there! im not sure if i have ever seen a button like that? in the latest issue of north/south trader there was a guy that dug some stuff that had been planted years before.the moral to this story is just cause you dug it,don't make it real? do some research and let us know. )

OP
OP
S

Sandy

I did the research!

It isn't a button. It is a medallion from a handsaw, which was found in the civil war camp. There is a good site for these on the internet.

J

Jim Mayo

Sandy: Hate to rain on your parade having been where you are now, but unless you found more than you listed I think you have found an old house site. Pottery/glass pieces, nails, tool pieces and the absence of bullets and buttons indicate house site.

Expand out paying attention to the area beside any old roads. Marching troops usually fell out on the side of the road. A permanent camp could be anywhere, usually where you don't think it will be.

Good Luck

Jim Mayo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread