KRAMER

Greenie
Jan 3, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, I went out for my third time today and found a piece of scrap that came up a consistent 98-99. A high number doesn't automatically mean precious metal?

Thanks for any input

image-3702769421.jpg

Clean it off; it could be a printing plate. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Clean it off; it could be a printing plate. :) Breezie

I was going to say it looks like I see something engraved on it? I sure hope so.

Upvote 0
.... found a piece of scrap that came up a consistent 98-99. A high number doesn't automatically mean precious metal?

To answer your question, no. The detector has no idea what is beneath the coil. All it knows is the signal return. Large items by nature of their size give big returns.

Upvote 0
This is why I keep telling people on here to ignore the numbers, in fact tape over the VDI/VDU & use your ears. You will be lead wrong by the best in the market if you pay attention to the numbers & or depth. Its called a 'bell & whistle' & like fishing the lures catch more fisherman than fish. Even discrimination can halm your depth. Another analogy is those military people who learnt radar signals/returns by ear & later they had a computer to do it for them. The experienced oldtimers could out perform the computers.

Upvote 0
exactly....when Im out in the fields...big pieces of aluminum can shrapnel read high like coins...little scraps read low down in brass or sometimes lead...depends on how thick something is as much as composition......

Upvote 0
could be a daguerreotype plate

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back