Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Proximity to "old" targets does not make an item necessarily "old" but I dug this yesterday morning near where I've recently dug flat buttons and that one real. This piece of stamped copper was heavily corroded and I just got it out of my pouch this evening and scraped it. I found that it bears the word "SOUVENIR" and has two eyelets on the bottom edge that held a ribbon or medal commemorating at event or group. It measures an inch and a half wide by a half inch at the center. Any ideas as to what this is? It had a piece of charred would attached to it and there were other smaller bits of burned wood in the hole.

Thanks for checking this out.

IMG_6012.JPG IMG_6013.JPG IMG_6015.JPG IMG_6016.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found that GAR 16th encampment was held in Baltimore, MD, June 21-23, 1882.
This piece's styling may not date back to 1882 but it is similar to other GAR souvenir pin medals.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a similar one in my neighbor's yard. That one was for the Empire State Building. I believe they were very popular around WWII and the 1950's. I think a lot of the popular tourist places had them made, think of today's machines that smash and imprint pennies today for souvenir of, wherever it happens to be.

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a world's fair badge like this one. I found a complete one at an old house site last year. 023c7c459f1c67fef51fb8abd4e11660--is--worlds-fair.jpg

HH, RN

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'd say 1880's would be reasonable (on the early side), with this style being most popular from then through the 1910's from what I've seen. But the problem with the popularity of them is that it can't for sure be attributed to any group, like the GAR, as the medal makers could very well have used the same top for any number of other fraternal groups, as well state fairs, tourist locations, etc.
Smokey - those penny smashers actually got their start in the 1893 Colombian Expo. Elongated coins were a smash hit.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I found was mixed with wheat pennies and Merc dimes up through 1945. Nothing older, so who knows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Ben and also to relic nut and smokey for their input. I'm a little bit closer to nailing the date of this badge portion. It is identical in styling to one distributed in 1894 at the Ohio G.A.R. Encampment.
GAR Canton 1891_comp.jpg GAR_Ohio.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread