pig hunt pics NOT FOR SQUEEMISH!!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CAUTION......Real life photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Went on a pig hunt with two sons, a friend and 2 grandkids. First pig hunt for grandkids. Granddaughter spotted the pig first and son shot it. One shot with a SKS.
Passed the guy that has his bee boxes on the ranch on our way in. THOUSANDS of bees in the air and he's in short sleeves. Go figure
Granddaughter got her first pig skinning lesson.
Pig weighed 117 all skinned out and hanging at the butcher shop.

Attachments

• pig1.jpg
    pig1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 638
  • pig3.jpg
    pig3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 642
  • pig8.jpg
    pig8.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 634
  • pig9.jpg
    pig9.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 635
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a huge barbecue with great food, huge bonfire, fireworks and, for the grand finale, a whole case of dynamite caps were thrown into the fire. Explosion was like Hollywood special effects!!
The fireworks weren't your normal California fireworks either.

Attachments

• pig10.jpg
    pig10.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 633
  • pig11.jpg
    pig11.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 630

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
nice shot,

Question: Why did you taske the skin off the pig, Do you not like Crackling?

Sasnz

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had to cool it as quickly as possible. It stayed outside all night and didn't go to the locker until Sunday morning. Didn't have the means to shave etc. We call them pork rinds or cheecheerones! ;D
Basically, we didn't have the time or means to mess with it.
Actually, we were hoping for a somewhat smaller pig to cook in the ground. We have already dug a pit and stacked a bunch of firewood but we still need a pig. We could quarter or halve this one but I think it is just going to get fully butchered and we will hunt for a smaller one. We want to do a WHOLE pig, not just "chunks".

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
Looks pretty tasty. :thumbsup:
Sounds like a fun time, Does wild pig taste anything like farm raised pork?

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it does taste like farm-raised but slightly gamier; especially the boars. It's still good.
The ribs on the grill didn't come from this pig. This pig is hanging whole at the butcher's locker.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should make some 'good eating', we have thousands running loose around here.

fossis..............

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
I had the pleasure of fine dining of a ferral pig down in texas about 10 yrs ago.

Very fine eating IMHO.

Thanks for sharing your hog hunting adventures with us from start to finish.

M

MiniMe

Gotta love hunting!!!!!!......Pork Rules. :headbang:...The other White Meat!. Looks like a good time!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, gotta love hunting. This was my granddaughter's first pig hunt and, although she was worn out after the hunt, she wanted to go again the next day. So did my son's girlfriend.
These were taken before the pig was field dressed. My granddaughter spotted it first and started hollerin' "PIG" so she gets an "assist". :wink:

Attachments

• pig13.JPG
    pig13.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 524
  • pig14.JPG
    pig14.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 509
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was shot way down from the main dirt road and couldn't be hauled out that way so it had to be dropped from a cliff so we could drive up the creekbed and haul it out. Note, the pig is halfway down the cliff.

Attachments

• pig5.jpg
    pig5.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 503

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I see, I thought you threw it off the cliff to tenderize it! :wink: Monty

M

MiniMe

packerbacker said:
Yep, gotta love hunting. This was my granddaughter's first pig hunt and, although she was worn out after the hunt, she wanted to go again the next day. So did my son's girlfriend.
These were taken before the pig was field dressed. My granddaughter spotted it first and started hollerin' "PIG" so she gets an "assist". :wink:
Glad to see the girls getting out there hunting.. :thumbsup:..love it myself. Just wait until she gets her first kill..... :wink:

Monty said:
Oh, I see, I thought you threw it off the cliff to tenderize it! :wink: Monty

Monty you crack me up.... :sign10:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
And to think, I thought it was only wounded and it did a pig (swan dive) off the cliff to get away from yer daughter..... :tard:.....NGE P.S. Hey do they eat farrr antz? ;D

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures. To all that claim you can't use a SKS to hunt shows they are wrong. I bet it was a nice barbecue.

I remember driving I-75 south of Tampa not too long ago. There were maybe 20 or 25 wild hogs on the side eating. There was one further south that was hit by a car that I saw them lifting up with a tractor. I had never seen one that big in my life. (smaller then Hogzilla but about half way there)

Monty, it took me 15 minutes to stop laughing, your comment is too funny.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I had the chance to eat wild pig when Burdie and I went to the home of Texas Connection in Texas.
It tasted just like roast beef but easier to pull apart.
that was some fantastic food. Thanks again TC

Sniffer

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Nice pig.....my question is not so much the type of weapon.....though I see you chose a SKS assault rifle with a 10 round mag...most hunting rules and regs do not allow you to hunt with HI capacity mags...thats why hunting rifles hold 5 rounds or less......do they not enforce that rule where you are at??? if not then I want to go pig hunting with you, I'll bring my AR-10.

speaking of cooking a pig.....I am roasting one this weekend.....I just did not have the pleasure of stalking this one down...just picked a number and pointed to the lucky/unlucky victim while in the pin.....Saturdays dinner for the yacht club...

enjoy....HH

db

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
right size pig to kill 100 lb or so dressed

mmmmmmm very tasty

yeah she gets next shot in my opinion

hog was eating well there by looks of it being skinned