Pig Mortar and Pestle

HIMHAM

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Pig Effigy Mortar and Pestle at an auction the other day. I cannot find anything to compare it to really. Just trying to see if anyone know anything about the origin and its approxiamte value. It was in a collection of Pre Columbian small carved faces and native american arrowheads. Let me know what you guys think.

DSC_1019.JPG DSC_1022.JPG DSC_1024.JPG DSC_1026.JPG

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tough to say, because after doing a quick online search it appears similar-looking ones are still being sold today.

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guessing pigs and horses came with the spanish to S America. So if period that would put a date on it.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Before reading your post my first thought was modern Mexican. Then I read your post, and thought maybe, so googled Peccary, and got this picture. peccary.jpg The Peccary is a pig looking animal, with a range from the southern US clear down to almost the tip of South America. But the ears on the Peccary are alert and stand up all the time, they don't flop over, so I got to thinking, Duroc Pig, duroc-pig.jpg which is a modern bred critter that wasn't around before Columbus, and not for a long time afterward. So I stick with my first thought, modern Mexican.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HIMHAM

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You guys for your insight. My research also has lead me to the Peccary which would have been pre spanish pigs that mayans Aztecs and Incas would have hunted. I noticed the perky ears alos and kida thought what you did. Also there was what appeared to be a conquistador in with the Mayan carved heads that were also along with this in the auction. I also assume it would be modern and not pre columbian but not as modern as the last 100 years. The two fellas that work with me do not know particulars on Mexican Indiana artifacts but have been metal detecting and avid native american artifact hunters for about 10 years. They are confident by a couple of features of the aging of the rock that makes them believe it is at least 2-300 years old or more. Is there maybe another section i could post this in?

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Try posting it in the South American artifact section. You will have to scroll down quite a ways. Just above that one there is a North American, post in it also, there some experts there. But I really don't think it's anywhere near 200 or 300 years old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HIMHAM

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You all for your time and comments. I like that you thought my friends were being nice. They are too ornery to be nice :laughing7: I think I will post it over in the south american thread. I will let you all know what I find out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread