OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
Yikes! Ebay is really getting to be a scary place to sift through authenticity. There seems to be more counterfeits than I can ever remember. Too bad that when a great coin comes along....they go for a major premium. The days of finding that "diamond in the rough" are rapidly disappearing and looking for that great find is not like the days of going to the local coin show and finding a treasure for a fraction of its' worth.

I can guarantee you that many of the readers of this thread, as well as the "Ebay Picks" thread, are quite grateful for this type of information that is supplied to them. Unless you really know what to look for....investing in Pillars and Cobs can be a real mine field. No telling how much this information has saved collectors from bad "investments".

Keep up the good work! :icon_thumright:

Wayne

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Thanks Wayne. Here is another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1758-MEXICO-SPANISH-COLONIAL-8-REALES-SILVER-COIN-/270591803409

Some clues....

* Edge of coin is not right (Google around to find correct look)...
* Non-uniform strike depth. Some areas are razor sharp, others look washed out
* Chinese seller (no offense intended)
* Only 1 feedback - This seller was the buyer, making a purchase from another Chinese seller with the word "honesty" in his Ebay name
* "My coin is absolute true! The buyer can trust to bid!If there is any problem, the buyer can send back the coin to me!But the buyer have to pay freight!" - OK, great, so what does the seller have to lose? He is out essentially nothing if the coin is returned. If the buyer keeps it he cashes in.

Stan

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Stan,

Thanks for the post. Here is a chance to make our voice heard:
I need to look deeper into this group, but I think ebay would like us to police junk in this area of expertise...I really think that we should be proactive and see what happens:

http://groups.ebay.com/forum/Ebay-Numismatic-Seller/Welcome/300013802

Maybe we could get a "specialized" group for Cobs and Pillars collectors together and possibly sign up as a group with the contention that we study these coins. I merely mean that this group (on Tnet) studies and contributes to this area...and if you are interested "sign up". All communications are held in the strictest of confidence, once accepted into this group of ebay monitors. This could be as easy as a "cc: of our opinions to the proper authorities on Ebay that we have posted here on TNet". The reason I say this, is that there appears to be 1500+ dealers and collectors that are signed on to do these evaluations of ebay dealers in general. I am not really sure if Ebay is counting the commissions or actually listening...I hope they really care. I am sure that 95% of the Ebay panel generalizes their expertise and knows very little about these coins. What do you all think? Should we keep this to ourselves or share it?

This concept could certainly be used in other areas of "expertise" with the numismatic and relic collectors on TNet. It is one thing to share our knowledge among ourselves, and another to share this outside of this little realm.

Anyone who reads my posts on "X-Marks The Spot" knows my feelings. I like sharing knowledge with others. In the long run it benefits all of our readers and furthers the knowledge of our interests.

I am the "eternal optimist"...

goldcoastwayne

OP
OP
D

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Thanks Wayne. I sent a join request that just said....

"Collector and occasional seller of Spanish Colonial cob coins. Wish to share views and monitor the spread of fraudulent coins. Thank you, Stan"

As you probably know you can't read the posts unless you have been accepted into the group. I'll comment further after I check it out. Until then, I am somewhat hesitant.

Thanks for bringing the idea forward.

Stan

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
DiveWrecks said:
Porosity + no return policy = probable fake.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/1747-MF-4-REALES-CROWNED-GLOBES-/170500888727

Stan

I agree with you. I often think when I am looking at an Ebay offer why the seller doesn't offer more information. If you think you have a "great" coin you would post the weight and even a view of the side edge of the coin. Remember that beautiful pedigreed Pillar that I posted? That is a perfect example of the information that we should be looking for when buying a great coin:

Wayne

Attachments

• 1780 Pillar side.jpg
    1780 Pillar side.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 844

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Heres a pillar type I found. A bit knicked up, almost look like chopmarks.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
goldcoastwayne said:
That figures....... :laughing7: But you know what? Ebay is getting their commission... :laughing9:

Wayne
It amazes me that people will still buy collectibles from China...

Hey maybe this ones not fake.

The fake always costs more than the genuine article. The fake plus the genuine one.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
gwdigger said:
It amazes me that people will still buy collectibles from China...

Hey maybe this ones not fake.
Its a fake as a 3 dollar bill. Ill bet a magnet will stick to it. :D

Attachments

• fake_chinese_coin_dies.jpg
    fake_chinese_coin_dies.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 778
  • fake_chinese_coin_dies.jpg
    fake_chinese_coin_dies.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 779

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread