Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've saved up enough cabellas points and I'm upgrading from my old bounty hunter pin pointer.
The Orange pro pointer AT and the black pro pointer II both sell for $130. I don't detect in the water really so my question is does the II outperform the AT?
Cabellas also sells the whites bullseye for 160 but is sold out of the minelab pro- find. I've never been able to field test any of these. I wouldn't mind paying the extra 30 for the whites if it is a better machine. I know these aren't the best prices but like i said, I'm using points. After all, the best things in life are free! :tongue3:

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Go with the Garrett Carrot, very sensitive and you can dial it down to truly pin point. I've tested it and can be within 2 1/2 to 3" and detect the object.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've saved up enough cabellas points and I'm upgrading from my old bounty hunter pin pointer.
The Orange pro pointer AT and the black pro pointer II both sell for $130. I don't detect in the water really so my question is does the II outperform the AT?
Cabellas also sells the whites bullseye for 160 but is sold out of the minelab pro- find. I've never been able to field test any of these. I wouldn't mind paying the extra 30 for the whites if it is a better machine. I know these aren't the best prices but like i said, I'm using points. After all, the best things in life are free! :tongue3:

Good for you Man.
I have the Garrett & a Whites TRX , the Whites has never failed in almost 4 years. The garret is new in the box 'Not used it yet' I'm sure all will do you well, being waterproof is a good thing ,the TRX is Water resistant (it's seen mucho Sweat & heavy Rain, but have never submerged it.

IMO
If I recall right Those prices are kinda high for Cabelas ( cool that your paying with points) here they were $119 Garrett , &
$149 for the Whites. ..Well last time in their Glock Magazines went up by $5 . They keep moving the Detecting stuff so I could not find it last time.
Either way you will/ Should be happy.
Davers

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love my trx. Clean it off every so often under the faucet. Almost 2 years now

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Love my carrot. Have used it under water with no problem.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the green TRX Bullseye and the carrot and the carrot is my go too. The TRX is my back up. The TRX falses a lot at least this one does. I'd get the carrot for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The TRX, for me, has been great. Never used the carrot, so it's up to you. Either way, you'll be happy with a quality pin pointer. HH!

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a new detectorist and I have the Garrett Carrot. Very solid pointer, and I would recommend it to anyone.

OP
OP
Silverdrake

Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like I can't go wrong with the carrot. Thats the one I wanted but thought I'd ask years of accumulated experience first. Thanks for the help. It will take a while but I'm planning on saving points for a new detector next. Maybe cabellas will be carrying the max or equinox in a year or two! Currently using an ace 300

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TRX and Carrot are both excellent pin pointers. The thing I like about the TRX over the Carrot is that the TRX detects at the tip only, whereas the Carrot will detect along the shaft also. I find the tip-only-detect helps speed up locating and recovery of the target. You might also look into the new Minelab Pro35. It's price and features may outshine all the rest.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get the carrot, get a tip protector. I don't "dig" with mine but do poke and scrape around in the dirt and wore a hole through the tip.

I have a TRX and really don't like it. Falses way too much. I do keep it as a backup in case the carrot ever breaks.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trust me carrot Water proof Chug

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned a few Garretts, both the original pro-pointer and the AT. I now own a Makro and a new unused TRX. I didn't know if I would like the control location on the Makro since I had used the Garretts for so many years. Well, I can say that I really like the Makro. Nothing wrong with the Garrett. As far as the TRX goes, the air tests I have done with it are very impressive. Good luck with whatever pinpointer you choose. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Silverdrake

Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at my local dealer yesterday and apparently minelab is about to releace 2 new pinpointer models. Just when I thought I had everything figured out!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used them all over the 30 years I've hunted. My go-to now? Deteknix X-Pointer. My backup is a Makro n there's still a Carrot in my bag. I'm a landlubber, so waterproof isn't an issue with me.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the TRX and the Garrett carrot....( I used to use the Bullseye II) .I have gotten used to both and like that either one can ratchet the sensitivity to help narrow things down. I find with both of them, I am constantly turning them on and off. If I leave them on, they seem to be set off by my shovel or contents in the bag etc... I also like to work in silent/vibration mode. For maintaining silence I prefer the orange carrot as it stays silent in silent mode, whereas the TRX makes a two tone sound each time I turn it in and off. I found the carrot too sensitive on the third setting making it too hard for me to pinpoint. I usually use it at the second setting and haven't gotten the knack to quickly change that on the go. I love having the pinpointers....It makes locating much easier,

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the carrot and the TRX and I can’t really say I like either of them. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but it seem not to get the sensitivity I’m looking for. With the carrot I always have to click it twice and maybe and I mean maybe I’ll get the single. I basically have to destroy a plug to get a single. My TRX keeps making noise even when it’s not near anything and I always have to turn it off then turn it back on. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve had the worst luck with pinpointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree about the Deteknix X-pointer. I'm using one for about 2years and it always has done the job for me and i'm beating it very hard. I even bought a second one as a back up but never had to use it because the first one keeps goiing..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions