Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Bear with me,this is long--
Crust -2c flaked coconut
1/4c flour
1/3c soft butter or margarine
Place all three ingredients in a 10"pie plate andmix,either with a fork or your fingers.Press crust onto sides and bottom of pie plate.Prick crust in severalplaces with a fork.Bake 5-8 min in a 375 oven until lightly golden on edges.NOTE:While crust is baking,place 1/4c coconut in another pie plate and place in oven to toast.Cool at room temp,then chill.This is to be reserved for topping.
Filling;
1/4c pineapple juice(drained from crushed pineapple)
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4c light rum(or substitute rum flavoring,your choice)
3 large eggs + 1 yolk(save white)
1/3 c sugar
1c milk
1/2c heavy cream
Soften gelatin in pineapple juice.In saucepan beat egg yolks;add sugar and milk and blend completely.Place over low heat,stir constantly until mixture coats a metal spoon and is slightly thickened.Remove from heat and blend in softened gelatin and rum.Place pan over ice water to cool and stir occasionally with a whisk as the filling thickens(makes a soft custard).
Beat egg whites to soft peak stage.Whip cream until stiff.Fold egg whites into cream then fold into cooled rum custard mixture.Spoon into crust and chill.
Topping;
1 egg white
2 tbp sugar
1c heavy cream
Toasted coconut
Beat egg white until it stands in soft peaks.Gradually add sugar and crushed pineapple(pineapple must be thoroughly drained,press it with the back of a spoon to extract every drop of juice),beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
Beat cream until stiff.Fold into pineapple mixture.Spoon over top of pie filling,starting from the outside edge and working toward the center of the pie.Sprinkle the reserved toasted coconut over entire top of pie.
Ready to serve.
The wife use to make the topping a little higher,but I don't know how she did that.Take it as it is.It is still very good.

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
If anyone tries this,let me know so that I can come by your house and have some.Me and the stove don't really get along unless it's an egg or soup or some frozen conglomerate.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
If anyone tries this,let me know so that I can come by your house and have some.Me and the stove don't really get along unless it's an egg or soup or some frozen conglomerate.

Aww heck, the LaLa's were heading to MO to visit you and eat some pie. Well, I guess someone will have to make it for you. ;D It does sound delicious. :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread