Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When justgeese posted his avocado tree growing in the Houston area, I mentioned about the pineapple plant I grew. I dug out the pics to show you.

I didn't think it would produce a fruit, but it sure surprised me...4 years to the exact.

pineapple1 (2).jpg
Here's the baby

pineapple2 (2).jpg
Closer view

pineapple3 (2).jpg
Harvested & ready to eat

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Oh, Rat, that's neat! Was it good? I'll have to try that when my greenhouse gets up. Did you say 4 years? That's one valuable pineapple! -Noodle

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
We've got one of those too!!! My sister-in-law who lives in south Florida gave it to us. It produces every once in a while. I think we've gotten two pineapples from it. I want hubby to dig it up and move it because it's leaves hang over the sidewalk and those things are sharp!!!

vicki

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
that is great! I don't think I could grow one but it sure is cool to see yours RR! mmmm pineapple sounds really good right now too! maybe I better eat lunch! lol

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've got one on the counter right now for desert tonight.
Try storing it upside down for a day or two and juice will be more evenly distributed when it's cut.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
RR..it's getting late cause I thought LA meant Los Angeles and I knew you lived in Cajun land...finally figured it out...Noodle asked the question I was going to ask...was it any good? ???

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodle said:
Was it good?

Yes, very good...tastes just like the ones from the store.

vic910 said:
I want hubby to dig it up and move it because it's leaves hang over the sidewalk and those things are sharp!!

If I lived where no freeze would kill it, I would probably have it planted out. This one is in a pot and moved inside every winter. The fruit was so pretty on the plant, I just didn't heart to cut it off. I was told the pineapple is part of the bromeliad family, once it produces fruit, the mother plant puts out new pups & then dies. I have the new pup growing good and the top from the cut pineapple growing in another pot. Keeping my fingers crossed, I hope to have fruit in '09.

Wes & Backer, You know I know nothing about L.A., most us Southerners know LA as Louisiana or Lower Alabama. ;D ;D

I don't have banana trees in my yard, but there are a bunch at the farm house...they have produced bananas but they are yucky tasting. Besides that, once the tree freezes it is one heck of a mess to clean up.

;) RR

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'me so confused, ???, but hungry for pineapple,

Fossis.................

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
I'me so confused, ???, but hungry for pineapple,

Fossis.................

Fossis, what are you confused about? ;D ;D

;) RR

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Beautiful Plant RR :) I cut the top off the pineapple > put it in water to root and then the soil > Some have produce a small fruit but nothing like yours :)

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A hundred years ago I went to Hawaii and one day wound up in the Dole pineapple fields. Surprised the heck out of me to see the things growing UPSIDE-DOWN! :D -Noodle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread