Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit of forgotten history. The markers explain what happened. The Utes took the high ground on either side of the draw so the pursuing posse were pretty much sitting ducks when they got to this point, there's really not much cover, unless you could break for the trees about a quarter mile south. The posse members killed were buried close to where they fell in a common grave. Except for a fire about 11 years ago, the area hasn't changed much from since when the fight happened. Along the La Sal loop road SE of Moab. In later years, John Wayne made movies not far from here.

Attachments

• 5-30c.jpg
    5-30c.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 5-30d.jpg
    5-30d.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 5-30e.jpg
    5-30e.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 5-30g.jpg
    5-30g.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 5-30h.jpg
    5-30h.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 74

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if those wasichu were out numbered? The Ute's I believe were a pretty fierce people.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were led into an ambush spot. I guess they thought they were hot on the trail and got careless. I'm like family with Kiowa Chief Stumbling Bear's descendants in Oklahoma. For recreation the Kiowas used to always come to Colorado and raid the Utes. In the late 1800's on a raid up to Ute country Stumbling Bear snuck into a Ute teepee and scalped a sleeping Ute, but didn't kill him. Years later, after the turn of the century, the Utes and Kiowas met in the Oklahoma Panhandle (neutral ground I guess) to make a symbolic peace treaty, and Stumbling Bear returned the scalp to that Ute, who was still living. I thought that was a nice gesture. And I would have given almost anything to have been there and seen that presentation!

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting history. Beautiful country. The last few decades of the 1800's was a desperate, futile time for the Natives, experiencing the end of their way of life.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. I never would have known had you not posted. Thank you.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, how do you start that conversation?
Uhh... Sorry about sneaking into your teepee and taking your scalp. Here it is, you can have it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions