Pinpoint Me

JGRDHS

Feb 4, 2011
Belleville IL
There are probably numerous postings on the main site about the topic, but I thought I would post here to my fellow Illinois hunters and ask what any of you thought of the perceived helpfulness of using pinpointers? And if so...if there was a specific brand or model of pinpointer that does a great job. I am possibly in the market for one.

Thank-you in advance.

-James

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting about 5-years now and a good pin-pointer is a tremendous asset.

That said, I've been using the Garrett pro pointer for two years and it is WONDERFUL!
You won't be disappointed.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after having a whites bullseye 11 that i don't use anymore, ditto on the garrett propointer.

What the Beep?

Greenie
Aug 17, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Garrett Ace 350, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't detect without my Garrett Pro Pointer. It makes recovery time so much faster and easier. It's really well made and I have no worries of breaking it. I haven't used any other pointers but I think its worth spending the extra money up front for a high quality pointer.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
The Bullseye II sucks, get the pro-pointer.........NGE

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and Another vote for the Garrett Pro Pointer!!! And Another one from Red 2 votes In One!!! Soon to have 2 of them!!!!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Pinpointers Rock!
Seriously, it makes recovery time of a target much faster, so you can dig more targets. It also helps you from gouging or damaging a good find when you are digging around for it. I have used 4:

I started with a KellyCo Automax V4 which was free. It was a piece of junk. only gave at best 1/2 inch. Then it broke after 4 months.

As a stop-gap, I got a centech ??? from Harbor freight, it was cheap ($15), slightly better than the automax, but broke after 3 months.

Then I got a Sunray X-1 probe for my E trac. It worked great for a little over a year. The pros were it was on the detector, could be used like a little coil, so you could identify target easily by tone. It got a good 2 inches.

My Sunray began to crap out. It still works but there is a loose wire or something in it, so it falses all the time in midair even. This has reduced its effective depth and also makes it easy to dig after false sounds.

I got a Garrett pro pointer in March. I have had no problems with it. It works well. gets 2-3 inches. gives good indication of how close you are to the target. It is easily 'detuned' so you can get a closer area once you've found the target.

I suggest either Sunray or Garrett. It depends on what you want. I think all things equal, comparing my Garrett to my sunray when my sunray was fully functional, I like the garrett slightly better. It seems like it is much easier to find the target with it. It seems more durable. Besides having the traditional pointing at the end of the probe, it has a sensitive strip along the side, which makes it easy to run across a pile of dirt quickly to locate the target.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The Sun Ray is the favorite of many, the Garret is the favorite of the rest.

Differences are apparent, results are the same, much faster target recovery.

If you use only one machine, and most of the more consistent finders around here do then it's easy to pick the Sun Ray because it's stuck on your rig for good.

Functionality:
Garret, no motion VCO pinpointing, range can be increased by the use of an external inductive coupling very easily. Unit is machine-independent. Creates some interference with some machines, frequency-dependent if it is too close to the coil w/o regard to power-on status.

Sun Ray, motion only direct coupled to your machine so you get the same indications from it you get from your machine. You won't leave it behind after recovering the target. It does not interfere with your machine's operation at all, unless you forget to toggle the switch after using it.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
Sun Ray, motion only direct coupled to your machine so you get the same indications from it you get from your machine. You won't leave it behind after recovering the target. It does not interfere with your machine's operation at all, unless you forget to toggle the switch after using it.

If you set your detector to pinpoint (depending on how pinpointing works on your detector), the Sun Ray probe can be used to pinpoint with no motion...

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
I have been metal detecting for 43 years and have owned at least a dozen different machines in that time. Up till I bought my E-Trac I never felt a need to own one.

The dealer that sold me the E-trac said he advised a purchase of one because of all the very small objects that machine would find. I still didn't feel I would need one. Well' it wasn't long before I found out how wrong I was. I now own a Sun Ray X1 and a Garrett Pro Pointer and I'll never be with out one again. Rick :coffee2:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
rob.s said:
Is the sun ray pointer water proof?

the business end (ie the probe) is. The control box (the thing with the toggle switch on the shaft of the detector) is not. Thus, you have to be creative in rainy weather. My best solution was to use that Glad clingy wrap around it.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
p2c said:
rob.s said:

the business end (ie the probe) is. The control box (the thing with the toggle switch on the shaft of the detector) is not. Thus, you have to be creative in rainy weather. My best solution was to use that Glad clingy wrap around it.
[/quot

Thanks p2c !The sun ray sounds interesting and never seen one before.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rob.s said:
p2c said:
rob.s said:

[/quot

Thanks p2c !The sun ray sounds interesting and never seen one before.

I have both the sunray attached to the E-Trac, and the Garret pro pointer. I like to use the sun ray so I can determine wether a target I am chasing is iron or not. It will discriminate accordingly to how you have your rig set up. I still use the garrett though in these situations to locate the iron and be 100% it is iron and not silver being masked by iron. (which has happened more than a handful of times) :wink:

Whichever you decide, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. But as p2c has mentioned, the probe does seem to false from time to time and act eratically. Moreso than the pro pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread