Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know folks out here use about every pinpointer known to dirt fishers. What I would like to know is in your experience what pinpointer have you used and what kind of depth have you gotten from it (1", 2", 1 1/2", etc). I currently use a vibraprobe that only is good for about 1", and I was thinking about getting something else that might have a bit better depth. Thanks in advance for everyones input. HH

Upvote 0
D

deacon

I have a "Crazy ED's Pinpointer" by J&E Enterprizes
It alerts by tone and led.
depending on adjustment dial, depth ranges from 1/2" to 2" on various coins/rings.

I believe my pinpointer started life as some type of stud finder or a detector to find metal in wood or trees before cutting. the housing was modified by mounting a tube to it with the pick-up moved to end of tube.

Very pleased with it and although I don't remember the price it was very reasonable and not worth it for me to build my own or to make such a modification.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your speaking of the wizard vibeprobe, I have one also and find the range can very to 2+ inches to alomst nothing depending on the sensitivity adustment and the type/size of object.
A dime typically will get about a half inch on high sensitivity, and a quarter an inch plus.
An underground metal pipe might register at 3 inches plus, and a BB you would almost have to touch to get it to alert.
I personally find this more than sufficient - If your good enough with pinpointing with your detector, you don't need mych more than that.
In fact, a greater range than 2-3 inches would compeltey defeat its purpose, which is to let you know when you are getting mighty close to a metal object.
If it had a range of 5 inches, it wouldn't be telling you anything you didn't already know from the detector itself.

R

rvbvetter

I'm no tech head when it comes to electronics. But i keep wondering why they haven't come up with a VLF auto ground tune pinpointer.

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I can get about an inch & a half? on a penny with my older boxy version white's bullseye pinpointer.

Attachments

• whitesbullseyeoldversion.jpg
    whitesbullseyeoldversion.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 157

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Sunray x-1 probe for ExplorerII, nothing even comes close, had the first Bullseye (button finally busted), have the second (nice but...), the Sunray cuts down recovery time by half maybe more. Plus you can dig deep iffy signals, pull the plug and sweep again, works with the machine tones so no recovering nails and such...

Crow NY

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2005
Onieda Lake,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer xs,Garrett GTI 2500, two-box
I've used a few pinpointers, now I'am using a pocket Uni-probe with depth up to 6", you can also de-tune it down to touching the target. Found after I've pinpointed my target and 6" or less I can use my uni-probe so that I'am dead on, then set a wooden golf tee where it's at, I use 3"-4" tee's so I can see them above the grass, after I get a few pegged I'll take a break and dig using probe if needed, I'am not a dealer, just sharing what works best for me. Found out the hard way if you scratch or nick a relic or coin that one time would pay for it-self, And you don't know what your digging up until you get it into your hands,right? HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread