Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wonderful bride bought me a MD for Christmas. I know nothing of the hobby so I began watching youtube videos and see I will need a few additional tools to aid me in my soon to be dirt fishing trips. can someone kindly school me on what I should look for with a limited budget! Also being a lifelong leather craftsmen as a hobby I can see a cool belt accessory is also needed,,

Thanks Bo

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a Garrett pro pointer best on the market in my opinion. If that's out of the budget check harbor frieght they have some cheaper ones advertised in there flyers from time to time.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I look at pinpointer as a "must have". I can't imagine trying to detect without it! The Garrett propointer recommendation is a good one, stay away from a cheap pinpointer, go with a known brand, you will pay $100 or more for a "good one".

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wonderful bride bought me a MD for Christmas. I know nothing of the hobby so I began watching youtube videos and see I will need a few additional tools to aid me in my soon to be dirt fishing trips. can someone kindly school me on what I should look for with a limited budget! Also being a lifelong leather craftsmen as a hobby I can see a cool belt accessory is also needed,,

Thanks Bo

I was in your position about 7 months ago and I went out and bought a Whites Bulls-Eye II, cause it was in-expensive, it helped, but was a pain-in-the-butt keeping the button pushed-in while searching in the dig hole. Then I bought a Garrett Pro-Pointer, huge improvement, but I noticed that it would sound-off if you pressed it into the sides of the hole (it would false). Listening to a Metal Detecting Podcasts, I heard Dave McMahon (The Detecting Lifestyle Network) and he raved about the Detektnix X-Pointer. The Detectnix X-Pointer was at the time approx $40 cheaper than the Garrett. I got one with my next Detector, a Minelab X-Terra 705, and have not looked back. I use the X-Pointer every time and the Pro-Pointer is my back-up. The Detektnix X-Pointer never falses, works great and at $90 is less expensive.

Last edited:

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folkds I thank you for your input ! HH in 2015 !

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do the Harbor Freight pinpointer it is a waste of money also only a 90 day warranty.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer will make your detecting experience a better one. It will give you more time to hunt,by saving you time in the search process. It will also save you from constantly swinging your md over the target . It is... the best thing since sliced bread. Happy Hunting.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you do not get frustrated with Bounty IV, stick with it and if you really learn that machine it can be fun........then comes the upgrade and even more fun!!!!! good luck and welcome!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One or two other things - a trowel or digging tool and maybe a sand basket (Maryland is pretty "soft" for digging)

A Lesche will last a lifetime and is great for tough soils. I would buy another if I lost mine.
leschestandard.jpg

I have a Trans-Mississippi Digger that may or may not still be available but isn't rocket science to reproduce.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/techniques/51181-pluggin-slightly-different-digger.html

In sand and wet beach soil a basket may be the best bet

superpro_detailpageC.jpg

A note pad or logbook and a pencil is also a great addition.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deteknix XPointer will do the same job as any other for only $90, plus do it without false signals.

Speaking from experience.

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got the Deteknix X pointer and a bag ful of related parts It came with what appears to be 4 caps to cover the tip , however they are very small, Is there a trip to getting them on !?

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
should I chime in?

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Low Country South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
i actually use old school and new school in pinpointing targets. the old school--a brass probe. easiest--buy a brass rod--5/32" and cut it so 6-9 inches will extend beyond a golf ball. drill the golf ball to accept the rod--glue it in and then round the exterior point. I use it on metal relics as you can poke around and determine size (can also do coins but be gentle).

also--have a vibraprobe 850 pulse. an excellent tool that is usually used in conjunction with my brass probe.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a pinpointer and hope I never pick up the habit, just as much time or more used up fiddling with another device when your detector is all you really need.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Garrett pro pointer and the White's TRX, both do a good job. I am looking forward to the new Garrett pro pointer coming out soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread