Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I just read the reviews for the Bounty Hunter pinpointer---I have a BH LoneStar for detecting right now.

very bad reviews lol

everyone said it is a piece of junk and don't waste my money--hmmmm.................

so I need a recommendation for a pinpointer that is good.

I got my credit card handy right now and want to buy one this minute.

Barb had to blow me off this morning------I went to the old homestead myself since it is like 3 roads down from me and very "not" scary place lol

I got there and there was deer bones everywhere, it smelled, a platic bag of ???, guts I think-----old homestead was burned but chimney standing------------

well I hit a bunch of targets but dug in tall weeds and thick grass and I never got anything except metal scraps. I had to dig very wide to find these scraps lol

I think I really need a pinpointer to handle this

now, I know I got a 10 inch coil....I know that sucker pulls beeps from the side and when in bad terrain like this.....I gotta have something that zeros in more on targets to keep from having to dig up the world lol

so back I came....and yes I am excited bout this homestead cause the "big tree" is located not too far from the house and I am itching to go crazy there but I want a pinpointer now---I did dig into the flower patch and hit the spring onion patch....so this site seems so promising to me.

so what should I buy? my credit card is smoking and ready to go......lol.....thanks so much

Karen

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with the Garrett ProPointer. It's a little over $120 but well worth the money. It has a feature that most cheap pinpointers don't have that makes all the difference in the world. It beeps faster as you get closer to the target. I can't even tell you how valuable this is. People who have never used a pinpointer that does this have no idea what they are missing. You will not find one bad review on the Garrett from those who have used it.

Get the Garrett and don't look back.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a wonderful option----beeping faster as it gets closer to the target.

I hate to spend $120 (I was thinking like $50) but if it has that feature it sure is a must for me.

I am a "little bit lazy" type detector person.....I have so much happening in my life I can't spend time being drawn out on a hunt cause I can't find that target LOL :tongue3:

anything that makes the find faster is a big reward for me.

thank you so much----off to check the reviews on this item on the net....

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick -

This was my first year of detecting and I tried to do everything as cheaply as possible because I didn't know what direction it would take. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or get frustrated with it so I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into equipment that would just sit there unused next year.

I purchased 3-4 cheaper pinpointers from about $10 on the low end to $50 on the higher end and although one of them worked ok, I wish I would have just bought the Garrett ProPointer right away. It will cut your recovery time down to a few seconds, it's tough and it pays for itself. I think the majority of the replies to this thread will be people recommending the ProPointer.

I will say though, if you're not quite sold on the Garrett yet and really do want a "cheapie", I would try the Little Wizard II. I used one of these for most of this past season and I more than paid for all of my equipment with my finds. :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Detectors-24902-Little-Detector/dp/B00005NMUO

Good luck, I hope you find one that you like.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that the Garrett Pro Pointer is the pin pointer to have. But if money is the issue then look at the Harbor Freight one for $16.
It will work for now and is better than nothing. I use one as well and I have no problems with it. This would be a good one to get until you can save for the Pro Pointer.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound said:
I agree that the Garrett Pro Pointer is the pin pointer to have. But if money is the issue then look at the Harbor Freight one for $16.
It will work for now and is better than nothing. I use one as well and I have no problems with it. This would be a good one to get until you can save for the Pro Pointer.

No offense to you but that Harbor Freight pinpointer that people keep pushing is absolute junk.

Stay away from it. The Little Wizard that I posted a link to is $4 more and 10X the "pinpointer".

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
*sniff*....but I like my Harbor freight pinpointer....! It works fine for me, as a casual hunter...If I had more money, and was physically better able to get out and hunt more, I might consider upgrading.My HF pointer only works about 2-3 inches away from a target, but most times, I can find the tatget easily.If my targets would just turn to gold, I would be a little happier! :icon_sunny:

B

Bev

I have the Harbor Freight pin pointer. If I take it apart and clean it every 5-6 times I go out, it's fine. When it gets inconsistent and stops working, I pack up and go home- I like using a pinpointer that much.

I have asked Santa for the Garrett Propointer. I'm not fooling around next time. I'll keep the HF as back up but the Garrett Propointer is hands down the one that gets the best reviews. No question.

If you hate it, you can recoup most of your money on here but I highly doubt you'll give it up once you have it. I can't wait to get one!

That's my opinion...

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIT
I fully understand...and nope, I don't think this is a fly night hobby---I am in it for the long haul, so yes I should be spending a bit of green on better equip. Thanks for keeping me awake on what I purchase.

WOW the posts for the Garret are wonderful. Everyone seems to agree that if ya want a reliable and good equip with that extra edge of the faster beeping nearing the target...it is the way to go.

No money isn't a problem, just I like to be frugal and wondering if a $50 would perform as good as a $120 LOL no harm asking on it haha

Bev-----I hear ya. I think this will improve my outlook on the nasty digging situations real fast...just to pinpoint sounds wonderful vs. the big beep and dig wide situation. I think I will be a "pinpointer" like you lol

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terryo said:
*sniff*....but I like my Harbor freight pinpointer....! It works fine for me, as a casual hunter...If I had more money, and was physically better able to get out and hunt more, I might consider upgrading.My HF pointer only works about 2-3 inches away from a target, but most times, I can find the tatget easily.If my targets would just turn to gold, I would be a little happier! :icon_sunny:

I tried 2 different ones.

1st one - Every time you push in the button it signals and doesn't stop no matter how you adjust it.

2nd one - Went off every time I touched dirt or anything else for that matter. Metal or not.

If you were lucky enough to get one of the "good" ones then more power to ya! :thumbsup:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
WIT
I fully understand...and nope, I don't think this is a fly night hobby---I am in it for the long haul, so yes I should be spending a bit of green on better equip. Thanks for keeping me awake on what I purchase.

WOW the posts for the Garret are wonderful. Everyone seems to agree that if ya want a reliable and good equip with that extra edge of the faster beeping nearing the target...it is the way to go.

No money isn't a problem, just I like to be frugal and wondering if a $50 would perform as good as a $120 LOL no harm asking on it haha

Bev-----I hear ya. I think this will improve my outlook on the nasty digging situations real fast...just to pinpoint sounds wonderful vs. the big beep and dig wide situation. I think I will be a "pinpointer" like you lol

Even if you buy a cheaper pinpointer that works fine for you, you'll constantly be wondering why everyone is raving over the ProPointer. :icon_scratch: (trust me)

If money isn't a problem and you're in this hobby for the long haul then treat yourself to the Garrett!

Christmas is right around the corner and you deserve it!! ;D

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol WIT
I have to pretend I am in a L'Oreal hair commercial---and say "I am worth it"
:laughing7:

yea with so many saying the ProPointer is the way to go----I am sure this is it and off to check it out on the net.

thanks everyone.

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will never regret spending on the Garrett Pro Pinpointer. It is the bomb. I have my recovery time down to less than a minute in most cases. It lets you know when you are closer and farther away from your target, you can also narrow your detection area (pinpointing) your pinpointer by turning it off and back on quickly. Love mine, thinking about buying a backup.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow Bramble you sure got a great deal......but knowing me, patience to watch Ebay isn't in me lol

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:
:headbang:

:hello2: :laughing7:

I DID IT!

I bought the Garrett ProPointer

and on the net, I found a video showing how to use it, what it can do for you and YES YES I must have this. Cutting down on hole digging and pinpointing are a must for me.

I can not wait til it comes in the mail.

I want to thank everyone for responding quickly and giving me such a great unit to purchase. I know I would have bought something cheaper and not be as happy.....the video sure makes it look fab!

again---appreciate it!
Karen

B

Bev

You rock! Can't wait to hear about your adventures with it! I don't know how people go without one! I can't wait to get the Garrett myself!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know Bev without me reading about a pinpointer on this website I didn't even know they existed lol

I have been hitting all the boards and read about the pinpointers and realized I am missing something important

and when you said you wouldn't hunt without one, I knew I had to get one haha

B

Bev

I went out hunting with a friend that is sort of into it, I took him out and gave him the pinpointer I have. We were like 2 dogs fighting over steak, everytime he put it down, I picked it up and vice-versa. It became comical! He never realized how handy they are!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread