pinpointers

grafter

Feb 21, 2009
yelm wa.
Detector(s) used
xlt
i am or was using an automax v4 pinpointer until i poked a hole in the end of it.now all it dose is beep all the time when you turn it on.i would call that toast!i have been looking at others to replace it with.there are a lot of them out there and I'm not sure witch is the best for the money.i want one that will go deep and beep. dose anyone have any ideas they would like to share?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I haven't bought the new Garret pinpointer but from what I've heard it's one excellent unit

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't recommend a whites bullseye. I have one but it's not worth the price.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Fisher F-Point that I like and a Merlin SXL that is a bit fancier but less weatherproof. Both work well enough to justify owning them.

The best (and by far more expensive) is my Sunray FX-1 probe - really a 1" coil that is attached to the main detector shaft with a switch to go to pinpoint mode.

OP
OP
G

grafter

Feb 21, 2009
yelm wa.
Detector(s) used
xlt
well folks i ordered the garrett pro pinpointer.it seemed like the one to go with.thanks for the help!!!! :thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious - why do you want a pinpointer that will "go deep"?

If you lift your detector while sweeping an "X" pattern you can estimate the depth before you dig (or read the depth display if so equipped). Then flip a plug not quite that deep. Then use the pinpointer; first on the plug and then into the hole.

If you can't judge when you are within 3" it would seem you risk gouging a good coin; or even digging past a coin that is off to one side of the plug hole (some read as far to the side as they do ahead - the Merlin & F-point both do).

Personally, I like a pinpointer with 1" to 1-1/2" depth range.

OP
OP
G

grafter

Feb 21, 2009
yelm wa.
Detector(s) used
xlt
i always dig my plug frist and if i don't see anything then out comes the pinpointer.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Pinpointer pro is what I now use. It's awsome !!!!!

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
In trashy ground may dig 6 nails in same hole as coin,all metal pinpoint is innafective,My next Pinpointer?definately a Sunray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions