Pinpointing Tips With The Garrett Pro Pointer

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The ability to detune your Garrett ProPointer is also good when you are searching for a small target near a large metal target item, say a metal pipe from a set of swings. If you detune the ProPointer, you can still pick up a small target such as a ring, without having the ProPointer sound off to the large pipe. An electronic Pulse Induction pin-pointer that sounds off on a ring sized target from 6+ inches is practically useless when working around playground equipment. If you actually need an electric pin pointer to find a target from the center of your searchcoil 6+ inches, you really need to practice your coil pinpointing abilities before using any electric pin-pointer.

Below is a link to the video on tips using the Garrett ProPointer.

Garrett Pinpointing Tips with the Garrett Pro-Pointer Video

DSC_0303 (1).JPG

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Tip! I didn't know that you could do that.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thanks. The biggest problem I have with it is when you put in back in the holster it goes off because of the metal snap on the belt loop of the holster. And it continues to go off until it is well seated in the holster. PITA

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Great tip, thank you.

Nice photo too by the way...

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice I also seen the video on Garrett's site, one of the first things I learned to do with the pro pointer was to de tune it. I also wear my wedding band a lot while detecting (habit) and if I need more depth with pro pointer I'll run my ring finger from back of pointer towards front till it starts to go off then back off a bit and the pro pointer will now sound off at a deeper target. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice I also seen the video on Garrett's site, one of the first things I learned to do with the pro pointer was to de tune it. I also wear my wedding band a lot while detecting (habit) and if I need more depth with pro pointer I'll run my ring finger from back of pointer towards front till it starts to go off then back off a bit and the pro pointer will now sound off at a deeper target. Good luck everyone.

Really? Good information. I will definitely try that.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Good information. I will definitely try that.
yea try it at home it really works. There is a video on YouTube on it somewhere. I found the video last summer and it worked so I've been doing it every since. It helps when you dig out a plug and don't get anything with pinpointer. If you so this in hole it will go off on the deeper targets.

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some serious good info. That would have saved me some major headache yesterday. Thanks!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Same technique can be applied to the pinpoint feature on the detector by releasing the pinpoint button and repressing it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
being the switch and the rubber switch cover are known areas of problems with the Gpp, wouldn't all that extra use shorten the life of the unit?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread