Pinpointing w/ Explorer 10" coil

blaglezz

Nov 20, 2006
Pinpointing w/ Explorer 10" coil

Hi!
I am a new user and really having a hard time pinpointing with the 10" coil. I can pinpoint pretty good with the 8" coil, however not much luck with the bigger coil. Can anyone tell me if, using the pinpointing function until I get the exact point of maximum sound, is the target suppose to be under the center of the coil or under the red M of the Minelab logo?

Thanks!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pinpointing w/ Explorer 10" coil

You know with all the years I've been using these I can't even answer that.... which says to me the right answer is the target is under the coil where the sound is strongest, and that's all you need to know. There's always going to be tough targets to pinpoint with an explorer, it's just the nature of the beast and why a sunray probe is a great accessory to have. For anyone who says an explorer pinpoints easy all the time.... they aren't finding close to it all!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
You know with all the years I've been using these I can't even answer that.... which says to me the right answer is the target is under the coil where the sound is strongest, and that's all you need to know. There's always going to be tough targets to pinpoint with an explorer, it's just the nature of the beast and why a sunray probe is a great accessory to have. For anyone who says an explorer pinpoints easy all the time.... they aren't finding close to it all!
I have the same problem w/ my etrac explorer.
I just broke down and bought a separate pointer.
no probs now.

I don't even use the feature on the machine any more

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Try kicking the loop on the edge and swing it like a pendulum of a clock. The signal will be very isolated to your target. I too have a pinpointer from SunRay to help on targets as well. This will help to narrow the search area. Best wishes on your hunting skills. The edge will not be as spread out as the flat side of your loop. Give it a try! You have nothing to lose. There are many ways on a MineLab to help narrow the target. Practice! Practice ! Practice! Yours in Christ, Ky. Ed.

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage

Here's what I do with my Sovereigns and will work with any DD coil. Do very short side to side sweeps over the target while slowly pulling the coil back towards you just until signal disappears. Stop, now the target will be at the center tip of the front edge of the coil. If you feel you pulled to far back just slowly push the coil forward with the same short sweeps until the signal appears again. This is pretty accurate and fast once you get the hang of it. If your hunting in the water with a scoop instead of pulling it back towards you slowly push it forward while doing the same sweep. When the signal disappears stop the target will be at the rear center tip of the coil. Now put your shoe up against the rear edge of the coil, move the coil out of the way. The target will be right in front of your shoe. Take your scoop, lay it against the toe of your shoe, move your shoe and scoop back a little bit and dig. It will become second nature after a while and it will take less than a minute to pinpoint the target in and out of the water.

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage

Ooooops!, I forgot to add that this method of pinpointing is done in the discrimination mode and not the pinpoint mode.

OP
OP
B

blaglezz

Nov 20, 2006

I appreciate very much your responses. I'm using the "wiggle" method of pinpointing, and it works great for me with the 8" coil, but I can't say the same with the 1050 coil. With it, I'm always off target, and if I found it is because I had to enlarge the hole too much. Maybe I should not use the bigger coil untinl I gain more experience with this machine? ???

Thanks!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blaglezz said:
I appreciate very much your responses. I'm using the "wiggle" method of pinpointing, and it works great for me with the 8" coil, but I can't say the same with the 1050 coil. With it, I'm always off target, and if I found it is because I had to enlarge the hole too much. Maybe I should not use the bigger coil untinl I gain more experience with this machine? ???

Thanks!

It will always be like that to seome degree. The only solution is a pinpointer. The reason you are having trouble is at least in some cases the detector seeing the hard ones, so to stick with the 8" you'll be giving up finds.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't do much land hunting anymore just happen to remember this short video from spring..Se, hunting almetal no discrimination.digging the higher tones and Pinpointing..relic hunting late 1700's mansion, got permission, guy said just bring a extra detector for him...And believe it or not I would rather be in the water being a Pirate .......good luck, hope this helps.......Joe

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww50/Oldbeechnut/?action=view&current=test.flv

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread