Pinpointing with Excal II in murkey water

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Indian Steve and I went chest deep yesterday evening. There was one target I scooped around 20 times and couldn't get it. Later Steve came over to that spot, found the signal - and he couldn't scoop it either. So, we decided it was deep in the hard pack beneath the sand.

But on several other targets I scooped about 10 times before getting the target out. My method is X'ing the target from multiple directions - some were probably tilted in the sand projecting a wide signal. I'd put my toe up to the coil and lay my scoop on top of my foot, lip to toe. When I managed to scoop them they were all coins.

Anyone here have any better ways of pinpointing?

I think I saw reference once to the method of pinpointing with the CTX, wiggling the coil and then zeroing in with the top edge of the coil being the location.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the same method as you, using my toe to mark the rear of my coil.... What size scoop are you using?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using the Stealth 920iX and love it. I did have a number of direct retrievals with one scoop. But those 10 scoopers were pretty challenging - to say the least. There were 3 that I actually gave up on - just gold rings I guess.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the Stealth 920iX and love it. I did have a number of direct retrievals with one scoop. But those 10 scoopers were pretty challenging - to say the least. There were 3 that I actually gave up on - just gold rings I guess.....
BIDD....Big Iron Down Deep. That's I figure they are when I get one like that. After you reach the 2' level, you have to figure it's not a coin or ring.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you were chasing a tiny, split-shot sinker? It does suck to have to give up on a target.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wiggle the coil forward until the sound dissapears behind the coil, then wiggle it back until its just audible and set the coil down, then touch the tip of my toe to the back of the coil and sink the scoop right in front of my toe. if I missed it take another scoop just a little behind that one. But yea, if the signal didn't sound like it was right under the coil on the surface it was probably something big and deep. if it sounded like it was right under the coil and you kept missing it, chances are it's thin and flat and drifts off as you raise the scoop. pull tabs do that to me all too often. i take small scoops when i think that is the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i take small scoops when i think that is the case.

Had to leave a couple in the sand again today, after repeated scoops it gets frustrating and ridiculous. Was in the water with another signal and a T-Storm blew up RIGHT NOW - geez that was fast. Left that one be as well. Heading out again in about an hour and will try small scoops. You may be right!

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keep in mind that if it's a small item that fits through the holes of the scoop, small scoops won't work lol. Another method I use in calm water is to tie a boogie board to your arm or belt, and bring a shovel. Scoop the ground onto the shovel, check hole, if in the hole dump board and scoop again. once it's on the board a pin pointer makes quick work of it. This works very well when you're not walking on sand but walking on Mud or harder dirt that doesn't shake lose in a scoop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Made it back out yesterday to a different site. I did much better, left nothing behind, shallow scooping the first pass worked very well, and then none of my retrievals took over 5 scoops. Retrieved 26 targets. Hopefully that means I'm getting the hang of scooping.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Just found out I'll be baby setting the grandson the weekend of Oct 8th, would love to come and watch you guys hunt. You get a target you can't reach I'll send the 4 boys out to dig it for you...:laughing7:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did a land hunt today, wishing for jewelry, but only a junk pendant and a bunch of clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread