Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I use the pinpointing on my ace 250 if I don't keep it perfectly level as I scan it across the ground it can cause it to think it's right over a metal target. For example if I start pinpointing and sweep my coil over the ground at 2 inches above the soil and keep it at 2 inches it works perfect every time. But if I would lower it to ground level at any point during that sweep it would signal that I am exactly over the metal target even if I am not. Is this normal? Or could it be that the ground I am over has a lot of mineral in it and when I lower the coil it is picking that up? Thanks for any help.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mmm, can’t say what’s going on with your pin pointing.

With my ace 250, it doesn’t make a difference if the coil is on the ground or above. It still pin points just fine. The depth will be different.

What I usually do, is after I have a good ideal of where the target is by using the detector the normal way, I’ll use the pin point a couple of inches above the ground to get a better ideal of how big the target might be and then put the coil on the ground, off to the side and push the pin point button and side the coil over the target area from different directions, like an X, to pin point the center. Only time I’m off mark is when more than one piece of metal are next to each other.

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so if you hold your ace 250's pinpoint button down say 3 ft in the air and slowly lower it to the ground if there is no metal there it wont ring like its getting closer to something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread