ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying either the Piranha or Ranger from Predator Tools. I already have the Lesche 31" Sampson, and I really like the T handle on it. I want a bigger, more aggressive shovel for digging in fields and wooded areas. I'm torn between the T and D handles on the Piranha and Ranger. It also looks like the Piranha is 6" longer. I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts on these diggers.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Thanks!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy Crap, I've been thinking the exact same thing recently, I've been leaning toward the Piranha for the 41 " shaft length. My Samson is great, but the extra shaft length would help out a lot and those serrations look like they can handle the roots I have to deal with too. I think I'd like the T handle over the D handle.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Model 35 - Piranha with rubber foot pads: $ 116.95 + shipping. This shovel is a "beast" in the woods and farm fields. :icon_thumleft: I would not use it in a park or school yard!

OP
OP
Slad74

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies! I ended up ordering the Piranha yesterday. They both appear to be great shovels, but I think the extra length of the Piranha and the T handle will suit me better. I tend to dig holes with 2 hands also, and I think the T handle is better in that regard. I also feel like I'm getting more for my $ with 41" over the 35 1/2" Ranger :laughing7:. Really excited to get it and see how it handles dirt and roots!

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased the Ranger and love it. However, I was also stuck trying to make a decision between the Ranger & Piranha. I'll likely add the Piranha to my set in the near future.

I also have the Model 85 (BC) Military hand tool and the Model 31 (C) Raptor that are awesome. The Model 85 (BC) just SHREDS through thick tree roots like they're nothing. Very impressive. I wish I'd known about Predator Tools when I first assembled my kits.

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really excited to get it and see how it handles dirt and roots!
It handles dirt and roots like a champ (at least the Ranger does)! In central North Carolina, we have a large percentage of heavy, tough clay soil that requires something like the Ranger/Piranha to cut through without the blade bending. Something like the Root Assassin bends so easily with the slightest front/back movement.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went with......
image.jpeg
what a beast!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just took the Piranha plunge as well today. I was in the woods for 3 hours bending over my ground shark, and I'm still sore from it. I'm hoping this new tool will make my woods digging easier. Most of the coins i find are under roots since the trees were not there at the time the people were. there's a real thrill when getting a clean high signal underneath a big fat root.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got the ranger. Ive had it less than 6 months. Its been very effective so far. I like the D handle.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my Piranha 3 days ago and all I can say is it cuts though roots and hard clay like butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TexasCTX3030

Feb 25, 2017
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug - Loaner for my first ever find
My First Metal Detector Ever - CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Careful with the too much rounded shovel will get stuck on rocks hence why i took the piranha over the ranger

TexasCTX3030 - Mario (NetHunter)

Bama Digger

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful with the too much rounded shovel will get stuck on rocks hence why i took the piranha over the Ranger.

TexasCTX3030 - Mario (NetHunter)

But they both have the same shovel blade profile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread