Pirate remains found treasure sign ??

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi fellow treasure hunters just wanted to get people's views on weather or not you believe that when pirates used to bury there loot that they used to bury one of their own with it to guard it??

No one really knows what thoughts some Pirates may have had when burying their' treasure! Some may have had the idea you stated but more often, they would kill any Pirates that helped bury the treasure, so that they could not come back to take it or tell anyone else where to find it.

Frank

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site Vass it is a interesting thought and I hope you get the answers you are looking for. There are many sections on this forum you will find interesting as for signs pointing to treasure. Stay a while and enjoy, rock

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not likely. It would be very obvious to the remaining crewmen that the captain was killing them when burying loot. That would make it awfully hard to get anyone else to help. It would most likely lead to a mutiny. Just think how you would react if the capt just randomly killed your friends and crewmates?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not likely. It would be very obvious to the remaining crewmen that the captain was killing them when burying loot. That would make it awfully hard to get anyone else to help. It would most likely lead to a mutiny. Just think how you would react if the capt just randomly killed your friends and crewmates?

Who would row the boat back to the ship?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
uh, I don't get the question. If someone dead (or thrown in to die in the hole) is put in with the treasure, how do they "guard" it? Seems to me that only live people can gaurd something.

Last edited:

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crew members changed from port to port. except for the most experienced members. it was these new crew men who were killed after buring the treasure. In those days people were often forced to serve on sailing vessel.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crew members changed from port to port. except for the most experienced members. it was these new crew men who were killed after buring the treasure. In those days people were often forced to serve on sailing vessel.

You watch too many movies.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason for putting a body in the hole, is to trow off would be treasure hunters, making them think the depression they were digging in is a grave site.

I have even read of a small chest buried above a large chest, so they think they found it, and stop digging. :dontknow:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would row the boat back to the ship?

Speaking of movies, this reminds me of one of the great scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean; Pirate in jail cell saying the Black Pearl has been raiding villages and never leaving any survivors. Jack responds "No survivors? I wonder where the stories come from then?"

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You watch too many movies.
I have never been a fan of pirate movies,but I have done reseach on the matter. pirates often used forcwd labors on their ships. They also didnt care about those people. The more experienced and most trusted shared in the bounty and they also didnt care about what happened to the forced labors. Another reason these people were kill is simple.. if you or i came across freah diggings and decided to dig it up. we would find a body. Thinking it was a grave. we would leave it alone. superstitions ruled back in those days.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

You have a good point but I must inject a thought. Pirates were greedy and self centered by nature. The capt. probably picked the dumbest and slowest newer member for the burial task. The older members probably saw this as a bigger split of the loot. There is really no honor among thieves. Just a thought! Frank...

pirate.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
uh, I don't get the question. If someone dead (or thrown in to die in the hole) is put in with the treasure, how do they "guard" it? Seems to me that only live people can gaurd something.

Ask Spirit Relic! lol Frank...

pirate.jpg

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Gold Maven...lots of times inexperienced treasure hunters will dig up a box or a bag with the carcass of a dead animal in it and think it is a pet burial, only to re-bury it and miss the cache under the carcass! I knew of a man years ago who would collect a road kill for such use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread