kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Is there buried treasure in Byfield?

Sabrina Cardin

BYFIELD — Pirates and buried treasure are not always just in the movies. On Kent Island in Byfield, the possibility of buried treasure still exists.

According to local legend, in the late 1700s a lawyer and his friend stole a pirate’s treasure and buried it around an oddly positioned boulder nicknamed Balancing Rock, located on an island in the marsh. To remember where the treasure was buried, the thieves carved an “A” into the side of the rock and planned to return in five years to reclaim their hidden fortune.

Legend has it they never returned, but the “A” is still visible today.

As the story spread in the early 1800s, people began digging for the treasure, and to this day there is no proof that is has been found. One chest is rumored to have been discovered in the 1930s, but that discovery has never been confirmed.

The treasure buried around balancing rock may or may not be long gone, but the legend lives on. Tomorrow, Newbury’s 375th Anniversary Committee will host a walking tour through Byfield’s historic farm district — ending at Balancing Rock.

“The story has been around for years, and people know about it but have never had the opportunity to see the rock,” committee member Ward Westhafer said.

The legend of the buried Byfield treasure at Balancing Rock is part of the sixth annual Trails and Sails events taking place across Essex County this weekend. Trails and Sails hopes to raise historical awareness in Essex County by hosting more than 150 free events along the coast from Gloucester to Amesbury.

“Each year, we try to find something historic that’s forgotten,” Westhafer said.

Two guides will lead participants through the historic farm district. The tour will offer the choice to either walk around or over Blue Hill, then across the marsh to Kent Island. The hike over the hill is more challenging.

Once on Kent Island, participants will get a rare glimpse at the unique rock and the “A.”

Tours begin at 99 Orchard St. in Byfield and are a little more than a mile total. Participants are asked to wear appropriate footwear and clothing. The event is pet friendly and also offers free parking.

“You can see Parker River, Kent Island, the marsh and Cart Creek from the top of Blue Hill,” Westhafer said.

Westhafer, who cut the paths himself, is hoping for a strong turn out. He said the legend of the rock is almost as popular as the legend of the treasure.

“Rumor is if you push the rock really hard it wobbles,” Westhafer said.

kenb

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
i might be making this up, but i vaguely(not sure about spelling)remember some other story of other treasures on kent island....i could be wrong but im pretty sure thats what i heard besides the balancing rock.....maybe i should look that up or talk to the family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread