Pirates treasure in Newfoundland ?

J

Jamie

To make a storey short?.

A while back my uncle told me a story about a group of friends, when they were young (I would say this happened in 1910 maybe even 1940 I forget the date but anyways) they found planks of wood in the ground, so they dug it up and after while at the 10 foot mark they found another layer of wooden planks. So as time went by, every ten feet of digging there were wooden planks. A lot of people have been trying to get deeper and deeper to find out what is buried there. But they are having a hard time keeping the water out of the hole because of the water level. There is a book about this and I wanted to ask you guys if anyone knows what the book is called or if anyone knows anything about this story?

OP
OP
J

Jamie

wow

crazy to even think about it. I was way off on the dates.
whats the most recent news about it? Is the Canadain govermnet keeping a close eye on it?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
the island was privately owned by the two major searchers but have heard that since one of them died it is owned or controlled by the other group. Had they used their heads the treasure was retrieveable but not now. The access tunnels are collapsed and flooded now. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
J

Jamie

Does anyone think that this mystery will be solved?

Or will it remain unknown for god only knows how many years.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Re: Pirates treasure in Newfoundland ? Try the Library of Atlantis instead.

There's very strong evidence that at least a portion of it was the treasure of the Knights Templar led by Sinclair. Many books on the subject. Whoever did it was a great engineer and the masons were known for construction innovations. I expect that eventually someone will get the bright idea to come in through the flood channels and bypass all the crud and corruption caused by the earlier digging. They would probably need armored diving suits and rebreathers using pure nitrogen to survive. Once they get the tunnel cleared ordinary diving equipment should suffice. Doing all this on the sly without the permission or knowledge of the land owner would be nearly impossible barring a star trek transporter device. A better project that could be done on land is retrieving a portion of the library of Atlantis said to be buried somewhere on the Yucatan peninsula. exanimo, ss

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well the island is owned by a family who has decided the treasure can stay there. History channel did a whole program on this 'money pit' of Oak Island. Whoever created the tunnels going out to the ocean was extremely smart. Somehow I don't see pirates making this kind of effort but who knows.

One guy sank one million into trying to retrieve it. He lost.

Jamie - no I think they would have to destroy the island to get to it at this point. It's solid granite rock and they would have to blast. It's a small island with one house on it.

another theory is an ancient people buried this treasure long before the pirates time. These people used turtles as a sacred symbol and may have been involved in Easter Island too. Some believe they travelled up from where the Maya or Incas lived. And were hiding their gold from foreign plunderers.

One Th'ing mag had a story about recovery efforts. These guys drilled straight down for 50-60 feet. Then the drill auger when thru wood, then at least a foot of gold, and then wood again. Was this true or just 'chumming the waters' to get investors - who know????

But it's a fascinating story and quite a challenge.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Although it hasnt been proven, the theroy that it was Blackbeard buried it after he was sentenced to death he said that only him and Satan could find his treasure. They also found a heart shape stone which is somthing pirates in the carabean did to mark there treasure. It also resembles other cache sites where the main shaft was a decoy and the treasure is buired in the flood tunnles.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i do not believe there is a treasure on oak island, although i hope someone proves me wrong, i have read many accounts and versions of this story. Nobody would bury anything that deep, i feel that the shaft was made as a type of desalinator ( used to make saltwater drinkable ) made by people shipwrecked there. Well there you go the mystery is solved you can all rest easy now :-)?

Pat.

G

gypsy

I just finished a fiction book entitled Rip Tide that was a um er Rip off of the oak island story. actually not to bad...

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
There is an excellent book written by William S. Crooker about Oak Island. He discusses all possible origins of the treasure, and decides...that IF it exists, it was probably British loot from the Caribbean.

Someone with A LOT of money to waste would have to buy the entire island from those two jokers and tear the whole thing apart to find it. It will never happen anytime soon.

Boardwalker

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005
There has been much brought up from the shaft called the "money Pit". Too many artifacts and too much evidence of foreign material to ignore, or simply write it off as a big desalination plant or some kind of hoax. I know a bit about how fresh water can be made from seawater and this structure sounds far off base. So what is this thing about?
So far over $2 million has been spent in excavating, drilling, and building coffer dams to try and keep the tunnels from flooding the shaft. The underground watercourses, built like fingers on a hand with the shaft representing the wrist have been cleverly used by the designers to thwart recovery of whatever is there.

That whole structure is one hell of a lot of trouble to go to for a one-time deposit. I suspect that the vertical shaft with layer after layer is designed to intrigue the treasure seeker, to keep the curious digging from above. If I were thinking as might a privateer the likes of Sir Walter Raleigh, or a pirate like William Kidd, I wonder if I would be able to devise a means of protecting the hoard. Even the stone with the easily translated inscription mentioning $200 million or so in gold 150 feet below is designed to keep us digging. I wonder if there might be a tunnel somewhere below that is high and dry at low tide that leads straight and true to the treasure. This would make sense if Sir Raeigh was skimming from his take on the high seas before going home to Queen Elizabeth. Not likely him, however, since he could probably have then purchased his head from the Queen in 1618 instead of losing it. Captain Kidd is a more likely suspect. He was the only pirate not included in the British general pardon of 1698 and he fled Denmark for Antigua. Along the way, he could have spent time on this "treasure island" disposing of the booty that he was collecting from the French and pirates in the South Indian Sea. Of course he swund from a London gibbet before he could spend any of his booty. Well...it's a theory anyway.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
The Kidd aspect is intriguing.. A friend of mine, a old MDer from years ago, took me to a place north of Dartmouth.. The only landmark I can remember to this spot was a War Memorial right in the middle of the road that went east from the main highway.. If your from that area you probably know the spot I'm talking about.. Anyway,, We drove down that road to a spot where the road came close to a small bay on the right side.. We parked the car, and went down to the water..The bay by the way was a damn good natural harbour.. He took me up the shore a ways (to the right as your facing the water) and showed me a Rock with the name "Kidd" and the date of 17(something) this was over thirty years ago, so I'll be damned if I can remember the actual date.. Also don't know if it was 'the' Capt. Kidd, but the era was right...

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Boardwalker, you may know a little about desalination, but how much do you think they knew about it in the 1600's ?, also several of the reported finds were only lies in order to obtain more investors. the coconut fibers were a peculiar find, but they probably came from a matteress that was on board the ship.
Pat.

Boardwalker

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005
Hi Lobsterman, I am getting more confused here. Are you saying that coconut fibres made some kind of desalination plant? You are right about the lack of knowledge of that technology in the time period concerned. Some of the material in the pit/shaft was dated -scientifically mind you- at around 1700, and the technological processes were not known until the20th century, such as Distillation, Multi-Stage Flash
Multiple-Effect Vapor Compression, Electrodialysis, Reverse osmosis and pressure barrier osmosis, Freezing, Membrane Distillation, and Solar Humidification. When this site was constructed, nobody knew nuttin' about desalination. So, Lobsterman, is anyone is serious about this being a giant desalination plant.....uh uh!

Actually, the site has a bit more to it than just hype and bunk. Dan Blankenship has a VHS video that he shows on occasion (next time might be May 2005 I understand) that has some very interesting things on it from the 235 foot level in the pit. References to these things can be found on the web. There is a well-engineered plan afoot to freeze a radius around the pit and excavate the pit once and for all, but it will cost about $15 million to execute. Has anyone hard anything about that plan advancing?
Boardwalker

S

shamre

Re: Pirates treasure in Newfoundland ? Try the Library of Atlantis instead.

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
There's very strong evidence that at least a portion of it was the treasure of the Knights Templar led by Sinclair. Many books on the subject. Whoever did it was a great engineer and the masons were known for construction innovations. I expect that eventually someone will get the bright idea to come in through the flood channels and bypass all the crud and corruption caused by the earlier digging. They would probably need armored diving suits and rebreathers using pure nitrogen to survive. Once they get the tunnel cleared ordinary diving equipment should suffice. Doing all this on the sly without the permission or knowledge of the land owner would be nearly impossible barring a star trek transporter device. A better project that could be done on land is retrieving a portion of the library of Atlantis said to be buried somewhere on the Yucatan peninsula. exanimo, ss?
Being an accomplished diver myself, i can tell you that with the right diving equipment recovery should be possible. I would like to correct you on one things you said in your post though. Nitrogen is an inert gas and is not broken down by the human body. Any breathable gas containing nitrogen would also have to contain oxygen. I suspect you are referring to nitrox, which is a special breathing gas being made up of a higher concentration of oxygen than the everyday "air" we breathe. Thus preventing the so called "bends".

S

shamre

Boardwalker said:
Hi Lobsterman, I am getting more confused here.? Are you saying that coconut fibres made some kind of desalination plant?? You are right about the lack of knowledge of that technology in the time period concerned.? Some of the material in the pit/shaft was dated -scientifically mind you- at around 1700, and the technological processes were not known until the20th century, such as Distillation, Multi-Stage Flash
Multiple-Effect Vapor Compression, Electrodialysis, Reverse osmosis and pressure barrier osmosis, Freezing, Membrane Distillation, and Solar Humidification.? When this site was constructed, nobody knew nuttin' about desalination.? So, Lobsterman, is anyone is serious about this being a giant desalination plant.....uh uh!

Actually, the site has a bit more to it than just hype and bunk.? Dan Blankenship has a VHS video that he shows on occasion (next time might be May 2005 I understand) that has some very interesting things on it from the 235 foot level in the pit.? References to these things can be found on the web.? There is a well-engineered? plan afoot to freeze a radius around the pit and excavate the pit once and for all, but it will cost about $15 million to execute.? Has anyone hard anything about that plan advancing?
Boardwalker
I agree with boardwalker, if they could somehow encase the shaft in a sleeve and freeze the water ensuring that no more water was able to get in. They should be able to empty the ice from the shaft and see what is at the bottom. That is unless the shaft is being fed from below. Either way it seems a huge endeavor just to hide treasure. Seems more like someones idea of a practical joke. Why go to all the trouble of building this shaft and hiding the treasure and then not be able to recover it. Somethings not adding up.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i wonder if anyone has ever tried using GPR ( ground penetrating radar ) on the site ?, i agree, it's too deep to bother burying treasure, do they have caldura's in that area ? a precolonial dumping ground ? who knows ? .

Pat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions