Pistol Barrel... what should I do with it?

branman4545

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I am certain is a pistol barrel in a dried up lake bed located in a park near temple terrace / lutz Florida. This heavily wooded swampish park is nestled in a slightly bad area and I believe this is part of a pistol that was probably involved in a homicide. So my question is... what should I do with it? Its not as rusted as it looks in the pics and I estimate that its no more than 10-15 years old. I dont know if ballistics can be performed on this but should I turn it into authorities anyhow? I am going back to the spot tomorrow and will try to find the rest of it.

image (1).jpg image (2).jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might be able to do something with it, but more than likely, they will pitch it. Before you take it in, I would call them and let them know you found it and what hey would want you to do with it.

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. Even with some rust it will give just enough difference in the ballistics to skew it. I wouldn't say its that old though. It looks to be from a smith and wesson.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Take it to the police and tell them where and under what conditions it was found. It may be nothing, but it may also help solve a crime. Quien sabe?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I probably wouldn't have even brought it home in the first place. But after thinking for a minute, I'd have to wonder why it was there, for how long, and who threw it there. Could there be an unsolved case that this hunk of scrap might possibly solve? Beats me - haven't a clue! If you have suspicions about it, take it in and explain the conditions/situation and let them say whether it might be of any help or not. After all, can't hurt to ask, right? ...If you didn't care either way, I doubt you would have posted - so if nothing else, you could put your own mind to ease.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local PD would take it off your hands. You never know why it was dumped

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First of all forget about the PD. There is absolutely no way they can do ballistics on it since rust would change the lands and groves in the bullet, even if they could fire it. Second is it from a semi auto or is it from a gun that was cut up?

If it was from a semi auto, I would keep it. You might find the rest of the gun. I have two real pistols and a barrel of another myself. I think they look awesome in my collection. I am hoping to find the rest of the gun I have the barrel to. Maybe one day and maybe not. However if you toss it away and then find the rest you will be kicking yourself over it. If it was from a gun that was cut up I would toss it. My free 2¢

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anonymously mail it to the po-po with a note explaining where you found it.

Unless you have nothing better to do than sit around a police station and answer questions.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks kinda like a Glock bbl to me.
I say turn it in. Worthless on ballistics as noted above, but you never know what valuable info the mere location of the find or condition may have to the police. To me, finding just the bbl says someone was trying to hide the ballistics on something.

Probably nothing, but it also intro's you to some popo as one of the Good Guys.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one I have ever known cuts up a handgun, pistol or semi, and throws the parts in a nearby pond or small lake for no reason at all, no good reason that is. Call you local LEOs and ask them what they would like you to do with it. You never know how it may tie into some old cold case. Understand too, that they may just tell you to throw it away, but at least YOU did the right thing. Other than a few minutes to give it to them and give them the info of when and where you found it, your time will not be tied up much at all. It's really the right thing to do, no matter what anyone else says.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly, each person has his/her own scale of "the right thing to do". Is too bad life couldn't be a bit more simple and everyone have the save values. But, then there would be no need for LEO's.

Guess that's why there are so many heated debates (which I can never seem to win). Each person certain that they are right. Suddenly a third joker comes along and tells them they're BOTH wacked! :evil5: ...Is a curious world we live in. :tongue3:

If it's bugging you, take it in. If you don't care, throw it away.

At the very least, they have trash cans at the station, also! :laughing7:

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its to far gone to help solve anything but your own fears

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No one I have ever known cuts up a handgun, pistol or semi, and throws the parts in a nearby pond or small lake for no reason at all, no good reason that is. Call you local LEOs and ask them what they would like you to do with it. You never know how it may tie into some old cold case. Understand too, that they may just tell you to throw it away, but at least YOU did the right thing. Other than a few minutes to give it to them and give them the info of when and where you found it, your time will not be tied up much at all. It's really the right thing to do, no matter what anyone else says.

Not saying it was cut up. Maybe disassembled. I have some experience in this being an ex- cop and in finding two guns myself. I have them both in my possession now along with the barrel of a third. The large Taurus 357 was deliberately tossed in a lake by the owner. He didn't want to sell it and he didn't want it any more. The 7 shot 22 derringer and the 22 barrel we have no idea why they were drowned. I can give you stories on all three finds. I also believe there is a 45 auto in the vicinity of where I found the 357. The police won't be able to do anything with only the barrel. They won't spend the manpower looking for the rest of the gun. They don't even know if it was used in a crime.

OP. Do what you want with it. Your find and your choice.

OP
OP
B

branman4545

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice, I'm about to try to find the rest of it and if I do find more parts i will turn it in most likely. Btw that's insane finding a whole .357!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
it looks like a Glock barrel. You can change a Glock barrel in about a minute or two. Was probably involved in a crime and dumped. It's useless for prints or ballistics purposes, but if it was the original barrel that came with the gun, it would be stamped with the serial#. If it has a serial#, turn it over to the police. If not, scrap it.
Just my opinion, Frank
Gold hand.jpg

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would take it in to the Boys in Blue and while you are there give out a couple of business cards explaining the hobby and offering to help if they ever need a hand looking for anything metal :) Never hurts to show us in a good light and you just might get some permissions out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread