Placer mining and fine gold recovery - your must have tools?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pan, sluice, weed.:occasion14:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now dang it...all this time I thought this was gold, guess I'll just toss it back in the creek...

DSC00040 copy.jpg

I don't use a shovel so here's my top four: 5inch dredge, wetsuit, inhaler, and a camo tarp // didn't used to have to use a camo tarp so a bit of sippin' gin (now number five instead of four) helps when it comes to panning down to that fine gold (that does not appear in creeks,HA!) and the number one thing that you "don't have to carry/bring" is the mindset that there's gold where you're sucking...

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine gold is finicky. It all depends on conditions and material. I find the best "practical" method of most fine gold deposits in my area is a pan and 1/4 classifier. Classify then run it down to 80/20 black/blonde sand and dump into a catch to later proccess with Gold Cube and blue blowl.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I cant pan to save my life after a few drinks! My #1 is my pan, #2 is my pick #3 is a container to place my concentrates.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drywasher, detector, #8 classifier.

What’s a creek?!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A 14 pound San Angelo bar breaks up my creek bed better than anything does. It makes shoveling much more productive and easier. It's a struggle to move much material without it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Toss up question!

What are your 3 must have tools when you head out to the creek (not including a shovel and bucket, lol)? What are your top 3 tools when recovering fine gold??????????

When "recovering" AKA panning concentrates I first classify them to batches of like sized material before panning. I have a couple of sets and the mesh sizes range from about 20 down to 150 mesh. When gold is panned with like size material it is relatively easy to pan (isolate) since it is usually 3 or more times as heavy as non gold particles.

Last edited:

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pan, sluice, sucker bottle

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Turkey baster, screw driver and table spoon. Lol, I get all of my gold from crevicing. Usually bring my little brother also, He's a good pack mule.

Somehow, I always forget the weed though...

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flow Pan, washdown tray, squirt bottle, 1/2" classifier, hand scoop, 2 gal cons bucket w lid.

OP
OP
J

jdlev

Nov 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now dang it...all this time I thought this was gold, guess I'll just toss it back in the creek...

View attachment 1645845

I don't use a shovel so here's my top four: 5inch dredge, wetsuit, inhaler, and a camo tarp // didn't used to have to use a camo tarp so a bit of sippin' gin (now number five instead of four) helps when it comes to panning down to that fine gold (that does not appear in creeks,HA!) and the number one thing that you "don't have to carry/bring" is the mindset that there's gold where you're sucking...

emoticon_drool1315581912.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread