TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
No sure about the permit. I know that its hard to get away with spitting in Austin ::), very tight rules and BS there. I am headed there to stay with some family for a week or so before the weather gets cool to check a few swimming holes.

Good Luck

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
City parks are out or so I'm told. Austin has a great club that you can locate with a basic search. They also have a club forum that you might use to make contact with one of the locals. While there be sure to hit 6th st. for some local music.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Austinite here...
DON"T hit 6th street. 4th or even 5th is much better. Heck, I'd even venture to say, just stay away from downtown all together unless you know some mature people with knowledge of where to hang out at. 6th street is pretty much full of;
1). College kids full of testosterone.
2). The sewer rats that were washed out of New Orleans.
3). Wanna be gang members.

In all, on Friday and Saturday, the age range is 80% 18-24, 10% 25-30, 10% 31-up. Go with friends and go to either west (way west) 6th, or 4th. OR, look at austin360.com and pick another music venue away from downtown crowds all together. Now, this must be repeated... if you do go downtown, go with friends that know the area.

Metal detecting: All parks in city limits are off limits. Period. You could get a permit, but then again, you need to be looking "in a certain spot for a specific item that was lost".
Schools are o.k. Texas in general pretty much hates metal detectorists. You have to get creative. and / or know someone with land or do research and ask permission.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
05kas05 said:
i am new to MD but i live in round rock so don't now many spots but i have talked to the parks and rec dept main office and they have no problem with you hunting in the parks here in Williamson county as long as you fill the holes in.been hitting them for the last couple of months and have had no one bother me.cant say its the best spot but it works for know till i can find a better one

My wife lived in round rock for many years, I really like the area.

Ever seen the "Round Rock"?

Sam Bass was killed in down town, and that rock has seen a lot of travelers heading through the creek as a low crossing sign.

Attachments

• roundrock.jpg
    roundrock.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 339
OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Where exactly can this rock be found, and how far from Austin is it? I will be in Austin for three days...
Baggins

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Baggins,

I think its off of Chisholm Trail Rd. Its near the main downtown of Round Rock if I am not mistaken.

Everyone in town pretty much knows where it is so just get to Round Rock and your golden.

Not sure of rules and regs but I know there has been a lot of traffic through there throughout history.

Good Luck Baggins

Attachments

• vfiles6887.jpg
    vfiles6887.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 320
  • round_rock.jpg
    round_rock.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 319

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Yep, if you look at the 'round rock' in the photo just above, I used to work about 50 yards from that rock,.... I would take my fishin' pole out there during lunch hour, and catch-release. There was an albino catfish that lived around that rock. don't know if it's still there. And right on the north shore of that rock, you can see wagon wheel tracks from where they used to cross, many years ago in their horse drawn wagons. It's really a site if you ever visit Austin. You can actually put your hands on the tracks (I think it must of been clay back then and has since hardened).

digincali

Mar 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
How about public schools? Is the detecting ban in parks a county reg or just within city limits?

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Wasn't clay it was always limestone just had a lot of Wagons going threw there on the cattle drives.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
digincali said:
How about public schools? Is the detecting ban in parks a county reg or just within city limits?

You didn't hear this from me... but if you go to the smaller suburb parks, you'll be fine.
Schools are o.k.

Man, I used to do my research on Austin, and even found an 1885 map that I overlayed onto the current Austin. Man did I find some placed that I wanted to hunt... but I'd much rather goes with a friend than alone. It's kinda spooky in the middle of the woods where an house is rotting away.

digincali

Mar 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
mikeofaustin said:
digincali said:

You didn't hear this from me... but if you go to the smaller suburb parks, you'll be fine.
Schools are o.k.

Man, I used to do my research on Austin, and even found an 1885 map that I overlayed onto the current Austin. Man did I find some placed that I wanted to hunt... but I'd much rather goes with a friend than alone. It's kinda spooky in the middle of the woods where an house is rotting away.
Thanks for the reply. I'm always down for a hunt if you're ever looking for someone to go with. :hello:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Also, take in the fact that all clubs want to 'do right'. What I mean is that if a major corporation that just bought a lot of land, and if you ask them to 'hunt' they might surely deny you. So, it might just be a 'Sunday job', where the real estate people aren't around, and if it's off visual from the highway, ... I just play stupid and act like I didn't know... But if they never show up, no one's the wiser..... and then we'll later at a bar later drinking over a beer talking about 'that find'.

And to all the nah-sayers... I say, "perhaps you'd rather it be buried forever in the concrete?

//I'm very busy these days, but I'm pm you again. I just need to get a free day... and by the way, the site is about 1890's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread