Places to search for gems/treasure in Missouri?

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
go to hot springs village. (different than hot springs) the coleman mines are there. you don't go thru buckets, you dig thru what they bring up from the mine. lots of dirt to dig thru, & excellent crystals!! It's a blast! just wear clothes you don't mind throwing away, (& shoes) cuz the oily red clay never comes out of them. this whole area has wonder ful mines so you have your pick. I have just always gone to coleman cuz I've always had good luck there.
also on the MO, ARK border there is supposed to be a good place to find sharks teeth, & agate. just google.
have fun!! & let us know what you find.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a place over in Arkansas called Crater of Diamonds State Park where you can hunt for diamonds in the fields of the park... you just pay an entrance fee that's like under 10 bucks a person for the whole day! Then, you can either rent buckets & screens and other tools you'll need... or you can bring your own!
And the rules of the park; Finder's, Keepers! You keep whatever you find, even if it's a rare & expensive raw diamond!
Here's the site with all the info on it...
http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/

Bran <><

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
In Northern Missouri, near the Iowa and Illinois borders there is a farm where you pay the farmer a couple of bucks and he has hundreds of geodes on the property. Do a google search of the following: (( Missouri geodes)) and you will find where to go up there. Also go to this website:

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/amber/go336/dreyer/

The above website lists minerals and locations. I don't think you will find any precious gems in the state if that is what you are after. Nearest location for those is "Crater of Diamonds" in Arkansas, but been there and it is hard work and lots of looking to find a diamond, but you may get lucky.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
jhettel, that was a great link. good info, short but sweet. thanx!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you can get red,blue,mixed Mozarkite (Mo. state stone) in Linclon Mo. theres a guy there that has a surface mine and sells you all the stone you want per pound.

ZzenRatt

May 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Northern Missouri, near the Iowa and Illinois borders there is a farm where you pay the farmer a couple of bucks and he has hundreds of geodes on the property. Do a google search of the following: (( Missouri geodes)) and you will find where to go up there. Also go to this website:

Mineral Resources in Missouri

The above website lists minerals and locations. I don't think you will find any precious gems in the state if that is what you are after. Nearest location for those is "Crater of Diamonds" in Arkansas, but been there and it is hard work and lots of looking to find a diamond, but you may get lucky.

That farm in northern Missouri that was mentioned is an AWESOME spot. The guy is super friendly too. We showed up TOTALLY UNPREPARED. It was a spur of the moment idea during a trip to Tennessee. The guy snickered at our belief in the ability to drive our Celica down to the dig spot. . And cheerfully pulled us back to the road after we'd buried ourselves :) he even offered to let us keep one of his buckets. He asked for so little we gave him more feeling his price barley covered his gas for having pulled us outta the ditch. .. much less his time and hospitality. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread