Plank...Beach Washup, any ideas as to age?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a beach wash-up...plank about 7' long, filled with many square-shank copper/bronze nails.
Any ideas? Has some toredo worm formations but those little buggers don't need long.
In overall pretty nice shape.
Possible shipwreck piece or dock?

Trez

Thanks for the replies and information provided...it will look great hanging from the wall, next to the dart board.
Time for some oil...bring some luster back on that wood.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• plank2.jpg
    plank2.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 127
  • plank3.jpg
    plank3.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 117
  • plank4.jpg
    plank4.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 113
  • plank5.jpg
    plank5.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting Trez,let us know what you find out about this piece....Mike

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was in the early 1800's shipbuilders figured out using copper nails on the copper sheathing to cut down galvanic reaction and you may even find old tar on it. And I believe the square nails would be oldest. I have a book by Steven Singer that goes into detail on nails I'll check it tomorrow if no one answers the correct dates.
If it turned out to be older and Spanish I would check it over because some times silver nails and spikes have been found at wrecks sites.

Ok, looked at book

From what I gather using mostly copper/bronze went from mid 1700's to early 1900's Only thing British Navy used on the underwater portion after 1783. I imagine the copper "sheathing" probably deteriorated after time. Probably and old wreck out there somewhere. Some guys can also look at the wood and tell quality and type but I don't know anybody off hand. Wheres a good marine archeologist when you need one... :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread