Must have books?

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
I was curious about some of everyone’s must have books on not only NA Indian artifacts but the pursuit in general, of relic and rock hunting that is. I am looking for guide and information books more than stories and novels though any suggestions are welcome. Are there better books than the Overstreet books for Projectile and blade identification? Looking forward to your suggestions!

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greg Perino’s books are the best for point ID that I’ve found.
IMG_4926.jpeg

Tully’s book has pics is some of the best points found in the Midwest ever.
IMG_4927.jpeg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Your statement: "better books than the Overstreet books for Projectile and blade identification", could be viewed as subjective.

What I believe is better, another person may not. So, the bottom line is it depends.

In my view, the Overstreet relic books are worthwhile to have. I have 5, although I only purchased 2. One many years back and another recently at a library sale for only a few dollars. The others where gifts.

One must keep in mind that the Overstreet books do not always reflect actual value, but a value the owner or close associate of the editor places on a relic. Back when Hothem was alive and I had a number of relic pictured in his books, he requested that a small blurb be submitted with each image and an estimated value. So here you have the owner or Hothem placing a value figure on the relic. From this I have seen almost identical relics with widely divergent values in his books. Sometimes I have found a more desirable collector relic with a lower value than a more crude or damaged item. An interesting scenario.

I also have a number of Native American anthropology books, Who's Who in Indian Relics, all the CHAPA books, many Hothem relic books, Bob Converse books on different Indian relic topics, more than a complete collection of the Central States Archaeological Societies journals. At least 6 Ball State and Indiana University Archeological papers, Archaeological Society of Ohio publications, The Prehistoric Antiques Quarterly, Edward Payne Collection book, The Chesopiean; a Journal of North American Archaeology, all of Rodney Pecks publications, and Artifacts Magazine. Putty lived relatively close to me, and I knew him for over 40 years, so I have two boxes of Putty auction catalogs, and many other catalogs, Prehistoric Antiquities of Indiana by Eli Lilly, and The Birdstone of the North American Indian by Townsend.

One of my favorites, often used, books is Prehistoric Chert types of the Midwest by Tony DeRegnaucourt. This book has a wealth of information concerning the flint used by specific cultures. In my opinion a must have for anyone hunting and collecting relics.

I guess what I am getting at is that ALL native American relic reference books are worthwhile in my view. Virtually every book or journal I have has something of value, whether it's an image of relics, or chapters on a particular culture and relics of that culture.

An image is good, many images from multiple views are better. Chapters concerning the context of where and how relics are found can be very rewarding. Images can be very helpful, the written text concerning the flaking style and flint/chert used by specific cultures are very helpful.

Only a few of my books are in pristine condition, most are looked at often. I have two bookcases; this is but one. I also have books on coins and bottle identification among others.
1714735455490.png

OP
OP
G

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
Any book by Lar Hothem is a good one.
I’ll look them up now, thank you!
Greg Perino’s books are the best for point ID that I’ve found. View attachment 2146835
Tully’s book has pics is some of the best points found in the Midwest ever. View attachment 2146836
Awesome, I’ll add these to my list!
Your statement: "better books than the Overstreet books for Projectile and blade identification", could be viewed as subjective.

What I believe is better, another person may not. So, the bottom line is it depends.

In my view, the Overstreet relic books are worthwhile to have. I have 5, although I only purchased 2. One many years back and another recently at a library sale for only a few dollars. The others where gifts.

One must keep in mind that the Overstreet books do not always reflect actual value, but a value the owner or close associate of the editor places on a relic. Back when Hothem was alive and I had a number of relic pictured in his books, he requested that a small blurb be submitted with each image and an estimated value. So here you have the owner or Hothem placing a value figure on the relic. From this I have seen almost identical relics with widely divergent values in his books. Sometimes I have found a more desirable collector relic with a lower value than a more crude or damaged item. An interesting scenario.

I also have a number of Native American anthropology books, Who's Who in Indian Relics, all the CHAPA books, many Hothem relic books, Bob Converse books on different Indian relic topics, more than a complete collection of the Central States Archaeological Societies journals. At least 6 Ball State and Indiana University Archeological papers, Archaeological Society of Ohio publications, The Prehistoric Antiques Quarterly, Edward Payne Collection book, The Chesopiean; a Journal of North American Archaeology, all of Rodney Pecks publications, and Artifacts Magazine. Putty lived relatively close to me, and I knew him for over 40 years, so I have two boxes of Putty auction catalogs, and many other catalogs, Prehistoric Antiquities of Indiana by Eli Lilly, and The Birdstone of the North American Indian by Townsend.

One of my favorites, often used, books is Prehistoric Chert types of the Midwest by Tony DeRegnaucourt. This book has a wealth of information concerning the flint used by specific cultures. In my opinion a must have for anyone hunting and collecting relics.

I guess what I am getting at is that ALL native American relic reference books are worthwhile in my view. Virtually every book or journal I have has something of value, whether it's an image of relics, or chapters on a particular culture and relics of that culture.

An image is good, many images from multiple views are better. Chapters concerning the context of where and how relics are found can be very rewarding. Images can be very helpful, the written text concerning the flaking style and flint/chert used by specific cultures are very helpful.

Only a few of my books are in pristine condition, most are looked at often. I have two bookcases; this is but one. I also have books on coins and bottle identification among others.
View attachment 2146839
That is an incredible collection, when you get a second I’ll just need you to lay each one down on the floor individually and take pictures and let me know exactly where I can find them, LOL. The only thing I like collecting more than the stuff on this board is, books and ephemera.

These are the sorts of things I am after, all of the collective information that we will wind up losing because it was only ever published in more obscure digests, magazines and newsletters is really depressing. A lot of books will mostly forever be available, but what you have, especially with those auction catalogs - those are the real goods. Hang on to them and let the people around you know they are important so they don’t wind up at the goodwill when you move on to dig the hunting grounds in the sky!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread